Crazy drum kit worth a look-see

Started by Blooby, December 03, 2011, 04:50:19 AM

phantasm777

its a little too much, but, i can see where hes coming from as long as he actually uses all of them. i myself never liked small kits. for example a jazz drum set up. too limiting. i like my sonic cockpit! :)

Hook

I'm giving it to him just because he's got one more cymbal then me and my tambourine is not mounted and broken...but just you wait!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Things that make you go "Hmmm"...

Drums have pitch, right? They have to be tuned relative to each other. So why don't they have to be tuned to the key of the song? If a band plays a song in the key of C and then plays another song in the key of A, for example, and the drummer doesn't re-tune his drums or play different drums that match the key, isn't he playing in the wrong key? I know we don't think of percussion instruments as having pitch, probably due to the short duration of each note, but they definitely do have a pitch which can be measured. Wouldn't the songs sound better if the drummer had one set of drums tuned to the key of C and another set tuned to the key of A, and then played the appropriate drum set for each song?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

phantasm777

i see it as doing a harmony like harmony vocals, theyre not always in the same note, but corresponding notes can also fit in like a chord. plus i think since no one pays attention to the drums - key, we get a free pass on that.  even if you did tune to a key, you cannot have all drums tunes to A or whatever, you still need the varying notes of the other drums. and even then, is your first smallest tom the main key note, or where would you put it, on the floor tom. gets complicated.

Blooby

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 03, 2011, 02:23:03 PMDrums have pitch, right? They have to be tuned relative to each other. So why don't they have to be tuned to the key of the song?

I actually saw this beast in action at a Zappa Plays Zappa concert a few years back.  Bozzio came out for a few songs (along with Vai and Napolean Murphy Brock), one tune of which was "The Black Page (so named for the density of notes on the printed score)."  This drum set is tuned.  He has a full chromatic octave plus Lord knows what else.  Not my favorite drummer out there, but I admire his vision.

Blooby

64Guitars

Wow! Sounds like three drummers playing at the same time. His hand independence is incredible. I'm impressed!

I'm only familiar with Bozzio from his recordings with Jeff Beck. They're very good, but this is outstanding!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

steelguitar

Do not know this drummer...

A impressive performance with an impressive kit of drum!

As 64Guitars, an incredible hand independance

We well see here that a drum has to be tuned too ...
Thank you Blooby
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.