what makes a text a suitable lyric?

Started by maxit, December 01, 2011, 03:52:53 AM

maxit

uh! yes : I heard sir Elton sing real time the first period of a casual depliant, and turn it into a beautiful song ! and on the contrary I also know about L. Cohen, and his distilled lyrics. maybe there is something in singing that makes the words different - I've noticed that some phrases that seem such a mess spoken, when singed they are beautiful and deep (not N. Drake ones, they're beautiful even spoken by a text to speech software ;-) and , and this is the same thing - most of the times, when I read lyrics alone, I can't find a meaning or a reason for them, or I don't know what they're really about... so, maybe whatever the lyric, they are there for to sing them!
recorder
Audacity

Geir

Quotewhat makes a text a suitable lyric?
For that I only have one rule: RHYTHM !! It doesn't necessarily make it good lyrics, but suitable.

And I break that rule all the time when writing myself, so have to make up my own inner rhythm to be able to sing my own words ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

elton john creating a song from an oven manual, he did the same thing on the parkinson show with a shopping list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GuI4UUZrmw
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

henwrench

For me, lyrics are simply mouth shapes to act as a carriage for the melody. Ambiguous, moi ?   ;) :D

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

I feel that, after this one, we're getting near to the point, nea? LOL!!!!!
recorder
Audacity

henwrench

Words, being words, will find their own meaning.

cockspanner
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

I read an online menu for a song a while back. I broke into hysterical laughter last night when I realized that I was sitting in the very restaurant that spawned the song. My girlfriend gave me an odd look, which it was impossible to explain without her hearing the song, so I took her home and played it for her later.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Any words (or sounds) that you can set to music. Which is anything, really. Da do do do, di da da da. What I prefer is far more particular than what is necessary.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London