A Thousand Goodbyes Revisited

Started by andy casson, November 19, 2011, 03:52:55 AM

andy casson

Thousand Goodbyes revisited no congas
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Wrote this in the summer, and recorded/posted a version back in august that was one of my first in years. So this is a bit of a departure from that straight rock version. Playing around with the riff watching children in Need last nite, and discovered Delay heaven, I think every track bar the drums has it! Apologies for it being nearly 7 minutes, I understand if you don't listen to it all!!!

I am not sure I should have added the lead guitar, I like the interplay betwwen the clean and crunch guitars L/R..any thoughts welcome

Recorded into Sonar, EMU1616 interface, Ibanez bass, 3 guitar tracks - Les Paul, 1 vocal track, beatscape drums

enjoy  :)

The original is here: https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=12081.msg160979#msg160979

Original Lyrics:
Lyrics:

If love is the answer, then what is the question I say
You held all my dreams, threw all my heroes away
Away
Don't tell me that love will come stay

I see in your eyes a thousand goodbyes...again
Where words are not spoken, silence lays in your lies
Your lies
Don't give me your thousand goodbyes

I'm lost and I'm broken, take me and bring me to life
Where words are not spoken the pain of it sits in your eyes
Your eyes
Don't give me your thousand goodbyes

Farrell Jackson

A bit long but a very cool song Andy! I like the way you've tastefully used the delays on your good vocals. You've placed them so they add a mysterious sound to the song and not just filler. Nice work there. The guitars do sound good!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

Very cool song, Andy! I liked the delayed vocals - fits well on the atmosphere of the song!

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Krasi

Fantastic song!! I think the vocals are great and the delay really makes them that bit more special.
It didn't feel too long to me at all. Very good lyrics as well!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Riche

Quote from: Krasi on November 19, 2011, 11:28:53 AMFantastic song!! I think the vocals are great and the delay really makes them that bit more special.
It didn't feel too long to me at all. Very good lyrics as well!!!

Agree with this totally great song bruv..
Rich

Blooby

Really well conceived.  Question: were the vocal delays printed or plopped on after the fact?

This tune took me somehwere.

Blooby

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Blooby on November 20, 2011, 07:27:39 AMReally well conceived.  Question: were the vocal delays printed or plopped on after the fact?

This tune took me somehwere.

Blooby

Agree with the Bloobster.... this took me somewhere too... Anticipation, suspense, it's all in there. Killer all the way.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

andy casson

thanks fella's for all the kind comments - and the vocals were done with the delay in the h/phone mix, and it definitely influenced the phrasing - good spot Blooby! Having had 24 hours to deliberate and consume a large amount of alcohol, maybe delay on everything was not the best idea ever... I need to ponder this further with the aid of more beer I feel

cheers
andy