Recording with Mustang, Ableton Live & AmpliTube

Started by thouston, November 18, 2011, 01:59:05 PM

thouston

I created a tutorial on recording with a Fender Mustang amp, Ableton Live LE & AmpliTube. If anyone is interested, post here, and I'll post the tutorial.
Tony Houston

Wiley

Long time no see!! Welcome back!!  I had a Fender Mustang Guitar once.  Not an amp though!!

Hi Tony I would love one. Always found your tutorials so instructive and easy to follow. I have a Mustang 1 which I just use for home recording. Any help would be gratefully received...............Willie

ps. I have the software that came with the amp and a BR900cd
recorder
Boss BR-800

thouston

I've had my Mustang I for just about a year, and during this time I was moving and didn't have my primary PC where I could install the Ableton Live Lite 8 Fender Edition recording software. Yesterday I finally had time (and found the Mustang DVD) to install the program and now want to share some tips with future users.

First thing is that Live has two views, Arrangement View & Session View (SV), it's in Arrangement View (AV) where you first want to start to record. In AV you can also view the browsers that list effects and plug-ins.

I always start off with a drum pattern, Live has quite a few drums patterns, here I chose 'Kit - Largen' in AV view:

But I found that you have to be in SV to select all the elements of the drums to be played:

I 'dragged' the drum loop to make a 3 min recording.

Next I recorded a simple rhythm guitar vamp using AmpliTube Fender LE plug-in:

I want to note that I used a Cakewalk UA-4FX USB external audio capture device, I have the UA-4FX selected in the hardware config as the audio-in/out. I also want to note that the you must arm the track (by pressing the icon, see pic) in order to hear what you're playing.

Next I recorded a bass track using my Fender Squier P-Bass and a bass effect plug-in Live:

I want to note that you must drag any plug-in or effects into the Audio Effects at the bottom of the recording grid.

Next I recorded a lead guitar using my Mustang, here you have to select the Mustang as the audio input, and in my case, the UA-4FX as the audio output. Most times the record levels via USB in the Mustang are too low. To increase the line level input volume, hold down the  Exit button on the amp, and turn the Volume knob, not the Master Volume knob.

You must also have to select Fender ASIO as the audio device.

Next I added a couple of synth tracks using my Axiom 25 USB keyboard MIDI controller. At first I have Live open, and it didn't 'see' my Axiom 25 as a source. I finally remembered that even using Reaper, that I had to have the Axiom connected, and turned on first, than open the DAW software.

After I did this Live 'saw' the Axiom as a external device, and I was able to play the soft-synths plug-ins:

After all this I renderd (exported), but first I bussed the tracks thru one of Live's  Mastering FX presets (see arrow in image)

Tony Houston

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thouston

Ok, but keep in mind this was just a test recording

[soundclick]11140099[/soundclick]
Tony Houston

Thank you Tony, can't wait to have a play................Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800