Danelectro DC59 12 string

Started by Burtog, November 09, 2011, 11:56:50 AM

chip

Hi Burthog. I thought I would bring this one back from the dead... I am after a 12 electric and wondered how the Dano was doing? I was going for the Rimini but I have the 6 string version, I then thought about The Rockinbetter, then the Ric, but having to pay loads for a Ric, that went by the wayside... The Tokai looks ok but it's £400. The Dano £250 and being I had a 6 string 63 which I parted with I thought the 12 DC may fit the bill. I need jangle in the 12 string dept without having to spend loads of cash. The 6 string 63 was a fine guitar. So Burthog, Does it jangle sort of like a Ric/ Tom Petty?
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Burtog

Chip

I am happy with it overall, itis not a Ricky but for the money you cant beat it. As said before some of the cosmetic finish is poor but the hardware (tuners/bridge) is good quality and once you get the neck right, set it up it stays in tune and plays fairly easy, for a 12.

Sound wise its not as glassy as a Rick but with a compressor you can get a decent Byrds sound, the pick ups give variable tones, I like the setting with both pick ups on.

I haven't recorded anything 'Jangly' yet but you can hear it on my recent Pink Floyd cover and the Crowded house cover I did.

Might be worth getting the cheaper Dano and spend some money on the 'Janglebox' compressor, Mcguinn uses one!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

Cheers Burthog... I have a compressor, only a Behringer though but it's ok for the £18 I paid for it. The Bugera amp is very clean and bright and doesn't really need the comp. We have recently aquired a female singer which means I can get on with more guitar playing and the sound of the band has changed somewhat. A more clean jangly sound, one I have been after for sometime.. The Rimini is great for this but a 12 would sound fantastic on some of the Petty covers we do.

I do like the Dano's, very quirky and not bad, in fact brilliant value for the hard earned. I will have a listen to the tracks you mentioned......

chip

Yep sounds real nice to me... Have you used it on stage??

Burtog

No live play yet, not been in a band for a couple of years. Just a recording tool at the moment!
recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

Hi. I have gone and bought one for £249, black. It was a toss up between a Squire Venus, the Italia 12 or the Dano. The Dano won because 1: I have had a Dano before and liked it. 2: The price. 3: It looks real cool. 4: Being it will be used less than the 6 string I could not justify the price of the others.

The Venus does ( 1997/98) look interesting though and may become very collectable, however there does seem to be mixed reviews. So the Dano I believe is the best bet and for £249 it's got to be a steal.

Venus  http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-squire-vista-series-venus-12-string-electric-guitar--made-in-japan-great-condition/105005238

Burtog

Glad you have got one Chip, hope it works out for you. The venus does look nice but it's wise to look after the pennies. Look forward to a recording.

I'm gonna do a Smiths tune this week with mine, time allowing!
recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

Arrived today.. Not had much time due to just getting back from the dreaded four letter word. Opened the box and wow, what a stunning looking guitar. Looks way better in the flesh, the neck, from a quick inspection looks ok and the finish is flawless.. No problems with the tape it looks very secure.

The build quality is seemingly miles ahead of the Danelectro 63 reissue I owned, the pick ups were a dull brushed alloy, these are very shiny. The bridge looks more stable and better built too. The instrument is way out of tune but the neck seemed very comfortable when I tried it. I got it from GAK by the way.. I am very shocked at the stunning expensive look of the thing, it looks like a guitar that would be twice as much as the price I paid. The only thing that I don't care for is the wallpaper Burtog referred to, this would have been better just plain white.

I now have to tune it and never having tuned a 12 string, this may take considerable time. I am going to use the MBR to do it but a little help from anyone would be cool. I will do it Wednesday.

chip

http://www.get-tuned.com/online_12_string_guitar_tuner.php

Ah , that will help. We have gone back to standard pitch since we got a female singer, so we are not flat/sharp anymore

Burtog

I recommend a decent set of strings. I put Elixir on, expensive but are supposed to last a lot longer.
recorder
Boss BR-800