Cigar box guitar

Started by fishinstix, November 09, 2011, 09:04:45 AM

fishinstix

Hi,
I originall posted this in "cover songs" section but since it applies to different kind of guitar and sound, thought it might apply here also. You guitar players out there might be interested in this.

I recently entered the obscure world of the Cigar Box Guitar. Thanks to a cool website cigarboxnation.com, I just finished building my first cigar box guitar and wanted to let you listen to what these things are capable of. Mine is a three string guitar reminiscent of the earliest stringed instruments which introduced blues to our modern culture. Its played with your fingers and a slide. These can be tuned numerous ways. This one is tuned EBE which can produce very haunting tones. I'm posting this on the "cover songs" page because I stole this basic instrumental from another cigar box guitar player on YOUTUBE named John McNair. If you like this tone, you should check him out because his guitars are awesome (Red Dog Guitars). I've included some photos of the guitar you are hearing. When you listen, close your eyes and imagine yourself at dusk in the early 1900's with your feet in the Mississippi mud.
Thanks
Mark

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
Boss BR-600

Farrell Jackson

This cigar box guitar just oozes that earthy, Mississippi Delta muddy water slide tone! I need one to get one!!!!! I've actually played a four string version but it's been so long ago that I had forgotten how great they sounded. Great playing and tone fishinstix! I'm gonna check out Red Dog Guitars.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

fishinstix

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on November 09, 2011, 09:51:01 AMThis cigar box guitar just oozes that earthy, Mississippi Delta muddy water slide tone! I need one to get one!!!!! I've actually played a four string version but it's been so long ago that I had forgotten how great they sounded. Great playing and tone fishinstix! I'm gonna check out Red Dog Guitars.

Farrell

Thanks Farrell. Try building one yourself which is what most folks do. There is no rules, very easy and they are all different. Check out www.cigarboxnation.com. A very cool site. My friend says I should try and get a gig doing the background music for the TV series "Swamp People". LOL!
recorder
Boss BR-600

hooper

Wow... I like this a lot!  May try and build one some day but for now thinking I'll go ahead and cut half the strings off of my el-cheapo Hawiian lap steel guitar. 3 is enuff! 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

danieldesete

The sound is just incredible. I know I shouldn't click on the link you mentioned. Yes amazingly professional sound
hou hou ha ha

danieldesete

I forgot to say your cigar box is a beauty
hou hou ha ha

Flash Harry

That's an awesome sound.

I need to start smoking cigars.......

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

joedonner2001

Wow, that is unbelievable!

Won't you please take a video of you playing it?  I'd really like to see it in action.

madrab

Good looking and good sounding – and well played!

dobrodaddy

Excellent tone for your first CBG!  Looks real pretty too.  Well done!  Definitely has that swampy tone.  Love it!  Geo

Thanks for listening!

recorder
Zoom H2