Waning interest in Micro BR?

Started by marcus_gloom, January 02, 2009, 07:02:08 AM

marcus_gloom

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,

I've gotten over the slump, i'm playing with my MBR again

The problem I found is in my schedule, I work from 7 to 5 and weekdays are spent with my girl, its so hard to squeeze in the TIME.

Its just that some veterans here like tim green and ORH are SO good and productive with their MBR, i feel like its so hard to catch-up,

I hope one day I'll have the courage to post one of my songs here..

BossMicroBRew

Like Greeny and Flash Harry, I would agree the BR is quite inspirational.  It's a lot easier to come up with little riffs and such than sitting in front of my cheap amp.

I feel the pain of your lulls, marcus.  Lulls are temporary, but the BR is forever!! (how can you not laugh at that)

I've talked 2 people into buying a BR and I working on my third.  Dear Boss, When will I receive my commission check and requested shot of Jager?
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Glenn Mitchell

Totally agree with the others. I would have replace it if it broke.
IMO the reasons so many are on ebay are short attention spans and the unwillingness to stick with something until you get it.
I don't know if it's worse today or not but it's one of those basic attributes of success that so many failures rationalize as talent, luck or intelligence in others.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

hewhoiscalledj

If nothing else, the MBR is worth it's weight in gold for the ability to play as loud as you want, in any style you want, with headphones on. Those with spouses or roomates or angry neighbors can attest...

Testify!

Greeny

Quote from: marcus_gloom on January 09, 2009, 08:59:36 PMThanks for the replies gentlemen,

I've gotten over the slump, i'm playing with my MBR again

The problem I found is in my schedule, I work from 7 to 5 and weekdays are spent with my girl, its so hard to squeeze in the TIME.

Its just that some veterans here like tim green and ORH are SO good and productive with their MBR, i feel like its so hard to catch-up,

I hope one day I'll have the courage to post one of my songs here..

Time is a precious commodity. I have the same problem juggling work, my son, a relationship, and the BR. It's never easy, and I end up recording at strange times of the night or any time / place I get a few moments to myself. The habit I've got into now is to be very definite about what I'm going to record - i.e. I have the song written, and I've visualised it in my head and thought about tones / harmonies etc. That means my limited time with the BR is more productive...

Anyway, I know what you're going through!  :D

groovedude

I love the BR for being so efficient.  When inspiration hits and start recording then an there.

However, when I want to do more than just a riff I turn to the computer because I want to visually layer and edit, things that I find WAY TOO cumbersome with the BR.  Even combining tracks to free up space is a seemingly arduous process. But it takes too long to get a computer session going and they are physically cumbersome.

If only their was an in-between product.  A br with a limited graphics chip, audio software, LCD display, or  S-Video or 15pin out and a touch pad or cursor nub.  That would be awesome!  In fact I think their is software for the Apple iPhone that basically does this giving you a 4 visual digital 4-track.  I'm not sure about its editing features, and the IN is limited to just the receiver.

...maybe some phantom power and record two ins at same time to boot.

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on January 13, 2009, 10:07:31 AMThe habit I've got into now is to be very definite about what I'm going to record - i.e. I have the song written, and I've visualised it in my head and thought about tones / harmonies etc. That means my limited time with the BR is more productive...

Ah, that's how you do it! Sheesh! I can hardly remember a bass lick while I'm doing your tracks. My head is just too full of other stuff to be able to write a song, arrange it, lyrics and know how it will be before I have even picked up a recorder.

I knew you were weird...... :P
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 14, 2009, 03:40:46 PM
Quote from: Greeny on January 13, 2009, 10:07:31 AMThe habit I've got into now is to be very definite about what I'm going to record - i.e. I have the song written, and I've visualised it in my head and thought about tones / harmonies etc. That means my limited time with the BR is more productive...

My head is just too full of other stuff to be able to write a song, arrange it, lyrics and know how it will be before I have even picked up a recorder.

I just clear my mind of all work-related thoughts, un-paid bills, and organisational necessities. It leaves a nice chunk of space for song writing! You should give it a go (and watch your life slide out of control...  :D :D :D)

Oldrottenhead

Quote(and watch your life slide out of control... 
great line for a song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 15, 2009, 02:44:34 AM
Quote(and watch your life slide out of control... 
great line for a song.

:)

Jarvis Cocker beat us to it (kind of) in Common People...

'...and watch your life slide out of view, because there's nothing else to do...'

Definitely some scope for lyrical interpretation though! A head full of songs and nothing else.... 'the songs in my headspace'