New procedure for submitting songs to a festival

Started by 64Guitars, November 03, 2011, 01:09:58 PM

64Guitars

I've made a slight change to the procedure for submitting a song to a current festival. From now on, when you post your song, set the message icon to "Festival submission". Don't choose the specific icon for the particular festival.

The festival submission icon looks like this:

When I add your song to the festival jukebox, I'll change the message icon to the appropriate festival's icon. This will help me to quickly spot the new songs which I need to add to the jukeboxes and distinguish them from songs which I've already added.

More information about how to submit a song for a festival can be found here:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30543.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

andy casson

hi

no worries, didn't see that, and planing to do one more U2 LITLR over the w/e, I'll let you pick that one!

Cheers
andy

Oldrottenhead

i must say a big thank you to 64guitars for running organising and doing all the work on the festival song players and cuthbert for his graphics, hopefully one day i will be internet savvy enuff to give em a helping hand.

i doff my cap in their direction. a lorralorrawork.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Burtog

Thanks for the PM 64, completely missed this message, I'll remember for next festival entry!!

:)
recorder
Boss BR-800

fenderbender

Sorry 64 -
I will pay more attention in future -
Im spending too much time reading up on the BR 80

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

slyswell

it read a lot about these festivals. Is there a page where they explain what they are all about and how it works?

64Guitars

Every two months, we vote on the theme for two new festivals. One festival theme is based on covers of certain artists or artist categories. The other is based on a general theme or genre and can include original songs as well as covers. The (closed) polls for the current festivals are here:

Artists/Covers:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14439.0

Theme/Genre:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14440.0

The idea is for everyone to record a song that fits one of the themes and post it with the Festival Submission icon. When I see a post with that icon, I will add the song to the appropriate festival jukebox. Links to the jukeboxes of the current festivals (GurlFest and Under2Fest) are at the top of the page. Links to jukeboxes of past festivals can be found in the main menu under "Festivals".

We're looking for new recordings here, not recordings you may have made in the past. So, think of a female artist you'd like to cover, or write a short song (under two minutes) and start recording! :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pine

Glad you clarified that 64. I like that plan alot better than folks just posting stuff they have recorded in the past...which i have done myself. I noticed in the current under2minutefest that there only like 3 songs that are new. I think the festivals would be much more interesting if they only had brand new songs.

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

64Guitars

Actually, I add all of those old posts at the start of the festival. I initially did this to show examples of the kinds of songs that are expected in the festival so that everyone will be clear on what the festival is about.

My point about posting old songs was referring to old recordings that have not yet been posted at Songcrafters. We don't want people going through their back catalogue of unposted songs to find something to post for the festivals. We want then to record something new instead. However, I don't mind adding songs that have already been posted here in the past to the festival jukeboxes.

The idea of only including new songs has been suggested to me before. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a lot of work for me to search for all of the old posts at the start of each festival and add them to the jukebox, so my job would be much easier if we only included new songs. On the other hand, I think the old songs provide good examples of what the festival is about and helps to get it started in the right direction. It also shows which songs have already been done in the past, so you might decide to choose another song if you see that the one you were planning to do has already been done a few times.

One possible advantage of only adding new songs might be that it would increase people's interest and excitement about recording a song for the festival. I mean, if you've already got a couple of older songs in the festival, you might decide not to bother with a new song. But, if the only way to get a song in the festival is to record a new one, you might be more inclined to do so.

What does everyone think about this? Should we only add new songs to future festivals? Or should we continue adding old posts as we have been doing?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pine

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 04, 2012, 03:12:30 PMOne possible advantage of only adding new songs might be that it would increase people's interest and excitement about recording a song for the festival. I mean, if you've already got a couple of older songs in the festival, you might decide not to bother with a new song. But, if the only way to get a song in the festival is to record a new one, you might be more inclined to do so.

That was the point i was aiming at but you bring up many others that are also well taken and relevent.

I personally would rather see only a handful of new songs in a festival than an abundance that were just salvaged from former posts. I think they would be alot more likely to gather plays and comments... but you and many others here know the site alot better than i do

Pine

recorder
Boss BR-1200