Vote for the November/December "Artists/Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, October 25, 2011, 11:24:16 AM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from November 1 to December 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on October 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Artists/Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Theme/Genre" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=12685.0

Please vote in both polls.

VarietyFest - Covers of songs by any of the following six artists:

• Dio
  • Captain Beefheart
  • Wire
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • The Doors
  • Neil Diamond

Same idea as our Singer-Songwriter fests except this includes bands. But not just any band. It must be one of the six specified artists. If this proves successful, we may have future VarietyFests, each with a new set of six artists.

We will also be having our annual YuleFest, but it won't start until later in November.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

dasilvasings

U2?!?! Monkees??!?!

Come on guys! Do you really want me to believe you only listen to cool bands and singers?!?!

Lets go through a bit of musical therapy all together. We don't know each others very well, it is not like if we are meeting in the next morning with an hangover and in the same bed and ask embarassed:

"do you really like Rhianna?"

"Songs you hate but secretly love", everyone!!!!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

The Monkees.
I remember them well. No talent, just pretty faces. A made-for-television cash-cow group.

All of their music was performed by studio musicians.
The only one of them that could play an instrument was Peter Tork. A little bit of guitar. Very little.

Not as bad as Milli Vanilli. At least the Monkees' creators didn't try to cheat the public.
Several thousand concert-goers walked out at a Milli Vanilli show, and demanded and got their money
back when they realized those guys were lip-synching to the music and actually doing nothing more
than dancing around the stage. That was the end of that dog-and-pony show.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Oldrottenhead

you should check out mike nesmith's solo stuff gene you might be very suprised.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Speed Demon

Was Mike's work done while with, or after The Monkees were no more?
I didn't pay attention to any of them after discovering they were a fake band.

There are three truisms in life: Death, taxes, and the fact that no one ever gets a second chance
to make a first impression.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Speed Demon

Thanks, ORH, this is the first time I've heard any of these guys since the sixties.
Peter is definitely the better guitarist.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

64Guitars

Michael Nesmith was a musician before The Monkees and had already released two singles and written several songs. Peter Tork also played several instruments before The Monkees and Mickey Dolenz played guitar (though not the drums, which he learned for the show). And let's not forget that they're all excellent singers.

In 1970, Michael Nesmith had a minor hit in the US and Canada with his song "Joanne".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQUvL0RQY8

And Nesmith wrote "Different Drum" in 1965, prior to joining The Monkees. It was a 1967 hit for The Stone Poneys featuring a then unknown 21-year-old Linda Ronstadt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5C710lnPfQ

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

phantasm777

64 - you are so right. mike played alot of guitar before the monkees in texas. add to that he can finger pick too. peter could play a few instruments, mickey learned drums while on the show. dont forget they toured live initally with jimi hendrix as a back up band.

also after the first season they got rid of don kirschner, no small feat, and DID they're own songs, and played many of the instruments, but also had studio guys and friends pitch in.

i think to dismiss them as non musicians, who didnt write anything is ridiculous. if you dont like them fine, but dont take away from what they did actually do! so they weren't always "fake". they did actually sing in the songs they didnt write in the first season.

rumour has it that in their song - valerie - thats glen campbell picking those leads, but im thinking it was mike. some people's veiws here about the monkees are very misinformed. if you dont like them fine, but to pass on not totaly true stuff about them, why bother? just say you dont like them! :P