Old ladies - mix1 andy casson

Started by andy casson, October 23, 2011, 08:31:31 AM

andy casson

old ladies mix1_sm
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Song written in 1983, girlfriend at the time worked as a care assistant in an Old peoples home, and she would come home with these stories of these ladies slowly ebbing away. The really worrying thought is that now I am  closer in age, it's a sobering thought...
The original chord progression was inspired by Pure and Easy (The Who), and was only worked out as accoustic, never performed.
Anyway - Recorded in Sonar, Pod Line 6, les Paul, Yammy base

Lyrics:

Old ladies with silken hair
Remeniss and chatter or do nothing but stare
At nothing we can see but something that's there
And a dream about youth being tall and fair

Old ladies with shrunken skin
Babble and question about where what's been
About what life's done and what life's seen
In an echoing ward, in a lonely dream

Chorus:
Their eyes reveal a deep well of loves and fears and tales worth tell
And it brings a tear to my heart to hear as their life's torn apart

Old ladies with saddening eyes
Mumble incoherent about their life
Sit and stare at the world outside
With an intake of breath kiss the world goodbye

Nelson

Andy

This is a smoker.

Love those sweet guitar riffs and those pure rock star vocals.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

chapperz66

Truly thought provoking.  My 82 year old mum is verging on this kind of position.  She still lives lives in her own home - as long as my wife and I do everything for her.  The thought of care homes is not pleasant.

Still, by the time we get to that age there probably won't be any care homes left.  So that's all right then. ;)

Paul

Kenny B

Dig this groove ... Dig this sound you create Andy!!!
You're reminding me more and more of my musical past
with songs like this.  Your voice is fantastic!!!

Quote from: andycasson on October 23, 2011, 08:31:31 AMThe really worrying thought is that now I am  closer in age, it's a sobering thought...

Also has crossed my mind lately ...  I used to deliver medical
supplies to these homes around that time period.

Great style!!!  Great tune!!!

Kenny B.
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rata-tat-tat

Andy... love this one... My wife is a CNA... we used to run an assisted living facility out of our house. This is spot on... although I must say if I could choose a way to go... Give me Alzhiemers... they typically don't have a care in the world and are usually in good spirits. Everyone already thinks I'm loopy anyhow!!! LOL... it is sad to watch from the sidelines though. Great one bro.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

andy casson

thanks guys for all the kind comments, I wrote this when I was 20, and I was looking at the lyrics a few weeks ago (page next to Game of Life) thinking 'I'm sure I came up with some chords..'
So it's a first stab, and must say didn't intend blazing guitar throughout - but I started and then it seemed appropiate?! Meanwhile I am 28 years older, watching my nan of 91 years and my wife's parents slowly losing their independence and control of their life... and it's still heartbreaking

SwanSong

HI Andy simply great very mellow. has kind of a retro feel
for sure. but great original. u r one talented musician.....
best of luck NEIL !

Blooby

Never would have thought "Pure and Easy."  The restraint of the bass is hypnotizing.  A busier bassline would've probably had a detrimental effct on this tune.  Very cool.

Blooby

stoman

It sounds retro. And what sounds retro sounds good. ;)

Your voice has a nice 70s vibe!

Regards,
  Steffen

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann