INPUT LEVELS AND SENS

Started by maxpayne86, January 26, 2008, 03:39:28 AM

maxpayne86

Hello everybody, happy to travel from RolandClan to a dedicated site!

I have theese problems with the input level and the sens of my own Micro BR

1)I record from a pre-amp (Rocktron Gainiac 2) which has only an instrumental output (guitar). What is the best choice, lower the input of Micro BR
or lower the output of this amp? I'm proceeding very carefully in volume settings, there are some reference levels?

2)The same amp, the same recorder, the problem is Micro Br input sens. Expecially with overdriven signals but also with clean, if I turn up the sens of Micro Br goes more rapidly into over. If I boost up the sens even with very thin volume settings, it goes into over.

It's good to turn down the volume of Micro BR or the volume of the amp?What is the reference level for the sens in 'guitar in'?

Thank you all

Pedro

Hello there maxpayne86, glad to have you onboard!

Quote1)I record from a pre-amp (Rocktron Gainiac 2) which has only an instrumental output (guitar). What is the best choice, lower the input of Micro BR
or lower the output of this amp? I'm proceeding very carefully in volume settings, there are some reference levels?

I learned that you must always try to get the highest volume from the source to the recording. This means that you would keep the output volume of your amp high and your Micro BR input low. For example: Instead of playing guitar with a low volume and then amplifying it later, play your guitar with high volume and lower it later on the mixing part.

Quote2)The same amp, the same recorder, the problem is Micro Br input sens. Expecially with overdriven signals but also with clean, if I turn up the sens of Micro Br goes more rapidly into over. If I boost up the sens even with very thin volume settings, it goes into over.

It's good to turn down the volume of Micro BR or the volume of the amp?What is the reference level for the sens in 'guitar in'?

Try to keep your amp signal high and lower the input volume o nthe Micro BR knob and the Sns(sensibility) parameter on the Input screen.

What I do is I strum my guitar with strenght when setting the volumes and then I try to change the input volume knob and Sns parameter so that the signal has high volume, avoiding clipping. If you do it this way, set the volume has you strum hard you won't get any distortion, I think.

Pedro

My reference input levels for guitar are: Sns: -1dB and input volume 75.

maxpayne86

Yeah this is what I've found around...I have done my homeworks!!!  ;)

1)Volume adjust the LEVEL or better the medium level of the input signal.

2)Sensivity varies the dynamic range of your input signal that goes into
the recorder.

If I work with external preamp (distortion) it's better to lower the SNS parameter, after I adjust at reasonable (very high) value volume settings.

I think they are right maybe I'm not able to explain properly what do you think about?

Pedro

I agree with you. Sensivity (SNS parameter) is for general tuning, volume input (knob on the right side) is for fine tuning.