It Was A Trip (live 2010) - Farrell Jackson Unplugged

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 15, 2011, 11:35:04 AM

Farrell Jackson

it-was-a-trip-live-2010-audio-file
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Although I was a gigging musician with a band for 35 years, I would occasionally do some solo performances. This version of "It Was A Trip (Live)" is one of those rare moments. Done originally in the studio for my Jaxonville CD, this live version is from an unplugged benefit concert in 2010. Although it's basically the same song but being a live, unplugged performance changed the feel and vibe of the song. For instance, you can hear the creak of the old wooden stage and sounds from the audience. It definitely puts you right in the audience and in the moment with me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did that night in 2010.

Farrell Jackson - vocals, acoustic guitar and harmonica.
The lyric are based on a true experience.

It Was A Trip

I said "Oh my", there were birds in the sky
Turning colors before my eyes
I looked around at the clouds on the ground
Making music touching down

I don't know why there were bottles in the sky
Knocking people to the ground
The crowd started runnin' when the bullets started comin'
Confusion all around

Ooooo.... It was a scene of psychedelia
Ooooo.... I can't forget, I'm here to tell ya
It was a trip, I won't forget
It was a trip, I won't forget.....No no no no no....

A bullet in the head, the earth was turning red
And a boy lay on the ground
He wasn't in the aim of the motorcycle gang
But they shot him just the same

There are those times when I'm back in '69
And the memories make me sick
Harmless teenage fun with a concert in the sun
And a life is gone so quick

Ooooo.... It was a scene of psychedelia
Ooooo.... I can't forget, I'm here to tell ya
It was a trip, I won't forget
It was a trip, I won't forget.....No no no no no....

Farrell Jackson © 2006
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hook

Great performance Farrell! This version gives the studio one a run for it's money. i like both!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Rata-tat-tat

Hey FJ... this is a great performance... speedy or not... seem'd like you got settled in toward the end. Got some questions... hope you don't mind...

Where did you play this  at (What venue)??? This sounds like a great audience... I'm lucky to get a golf clap in the venues I play at!!!

Are you playing the harp or did someone join in???

This is the stuff I would put my money down to go see any day of the week. I'm listening in admiration right now. Truely great musicianship bro!!! Love it.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

andy casson

Have not heard the studio version but damn this is good! Fantastic playing and love your voice! The fact that you can play like that live is great credit to you, I would also happliy pay good cash to come see you

Very cool
Andy

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Rata-tat-tat on October 15, 2011, 09:31:05 PMHey FJ... this is a great performance... speedy or not... seem'd like you got settled in toward the end. Got some questions... hope you don't mind...

Where did you play this  at (What venue)??? This sounds like a great audience... I'm lucky to get a golf clap in the venues I play at!!!

Are you playing the harp or did someone join in???

This is the stuff I would put my money down to go see any day of the week. I'm listening in admiration right now. Truely great musicianship bro!!! Love it.

Thanks Hook, Andy and Rata tat tat!

To answer Rata's questions: This venue is a small Theater at our local high school with seating like a movie theater. It's typically used for plays and such but this evening was a benefit concert. The place reminds me of the old movie theaters that are now being renovated to double as concert halls. This one has great acoustics and holds about 200 people max. There were about a 150 folks there that night to see the half dozen performers that ranged from solos, like me, to full bands. Most of the performers were leaning towards bluegrass/country so I think my music was a welcomed change. I'm blowing the harmonica on a neck holder, singing, and playing my acoustic guitar. The performance was recorded on a Fostex VF160 with two Rode condenser mics placed wide and about 15 to 20 feet out front. I played one 45 minute set, 10 songs. That's about it.

Thanks!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

thetworegs

that old voice of yours only sounds about 25......... I'd love to see you live .......playing England anytime soon.....excellent song......and a great performance fully charged up.....love that harp too

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

maxit

WOW, that's a strong performance! I like the way you can really get a full sound with your voice & guitar!!  good good harp and guitar fills,  feel like a CSN(&Y;-) cool sound here!
recorder
Audacity

launched

"It was a scene of psychedelia" - Love that part. Great performance, you are the man!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

chapperz66

Really enjoyed that.  And you are still out there gigging - deep respect for that.  I'm only an "armchair warrior" these days. 

Pity about the creaky floorboard/chair.  Great recording despite that.  And a great song, brilliantly performed.

Paul