Workaround when Forced to Record Vocals in Stereo

Started by jegtar, October 11, 2011, 09:02:26 PM

jegtar

Question:  On my Korg SR1/SOS I don't have an option for recording in mono and can't pan anything while recording.  My work around for this when recording vocals is to sing on the side of it focusing on one mic.  Then when I mix it in my DAW (Mixcraft) I switch the vocal track to the left making in a mono track of the mic I sang in to. 

Is there a better way to do this or is this an adequate way to get a mono vocal?

64Guitars

I don't know about Mixcraft, but Audacity has a "Split Stereo to Mono" option which splits a stereo track into two mono tracks. You could then simply delete the track you don't want.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Track_Drop-Down_Menu#Splitting_and_Joining_Channels

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

jegtar

Yeah, Mixcraft is a little different, it shows the track as one, so mono and stereo look the same on the track.  But when you right click the stereo track you have the option to change it to Left, Right or stereo which I think is basically the same thing.  It's the only fix I can think of and sounds good, I just didn't know if it was technically right.