Songwriting: Simple versus Complex

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 08, 2011, 09:12:28 AM

chip

Me.... Since getting the 1200 I have gone from country/ rock/ pop type of songs to dance/ jazz /reggae/ psychedelic/ stoner doomer stuff all in the space of whenever I bought it. This may have something to do with the Korg synth, Kaossilator, monotron  and my long lost love the bass guitar. Also the 1200 just makes life easier for me to experiment. I tend to end up with mostly improvised type of affairs lasting 5 to 8 minutes long which before I went on this trip' I would have been horrified to let any song go past 4 minutes max.

I think I needed the change, all the other songs were very formula driven using the chords that fall nicely into your ears, the three and four type songs. So although these new ones are not to complicated it is a breath of fresh air and great fun. No doubt the cycle will continue and I will end up back at the beginning sometime later.

I always have a guitar with me, even at work so I tend to write stuff using that which tends to end up rather pop-ish or country or rocky, so now I tend to leave the acoustic alone for periods because the acoustic can send me into the realms of the 3 or 4 chord song types, it's just how it is with me.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

dasilvasings

Chip, do you have your songs anywhere on the net?
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Anyone come across Sufjan Stevens - his rather marvelous album Illinoise has some really fabulous complex songs on it with constantly shifting time signatures on some songs. Really worth a listen. If I was to choose on track it would be 'Come on feel the Illinoise' Prepare to be excited.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.