Songwriting: Simple versus Complex

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 08, 2011, 09:12:28 AM

Glenn Mitchell

Exactly! And very nice too.
Some local ethnic songs are commonly done like this. Based usually on the drone concept.
Bagpipes would be the most common example.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Oldrottenhead

QuoteDitto...unless the song sucks.
;D ;D ;D ditto
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

Here's my one chord song.....it's flavored with verses, chorus, a story, and some great instruments by some friends to keep it interesting. I guess this would be a simple song that sounds complex?

Song #42...Don't You Pi$$ On Me

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=Playall;u=3159

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

I went to see some bands recently. The more you write and record, to more that you decompose and analyse - and I was horrified how many songs have exactly the same 4 chord progression - and I mean exactly the same. I found it really boring and dull - however that could be a grumpy old man thang :) However, is its the 'classic' song structure.

This reminds me of many years ago I used to play in a band live, and the singer was a huge Elvis fan. Now we were a rock band in the vein of the spin doctors (Attica, I posted some tracks a while back) - and really didn't want to do covers, let alone Elvis covers. Anyway - compromise was a rocked up version of Jailhouse Rock - and we played it live. I remember thinking, what on earth was that strange echo through the PA, and then I realised it was people singing along - three chords, and people went nutz - and a large dose of humble pie for me :) So, I know nothing - you have to follow your heart I guess, and analytics be damned.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: bruno on April 20, 2014, 05:51:25 AMI went to see some bands recently. The more you write and record, to more that you decompose and analyse - and I was horrified how many songs have exactly the same 4 chord progression - and I mean exactly the same. I found it really boring and dull - however that could be a grumpy old man thang :) However, is its the 'classic' song structure.

This reminds me of many years ago I used to play in a band live, and the singer was a huge Elvis fan. Now we were a rock band in the vein of the spin doctors (Attica, I posted some tracks a while back) - and really didn't want to do covers, let alone Elvis covers. Anyway - compromise was a rocked up version of Jailhouse Rock - and we played it live. I remember thinking, what on earth was that strange echo through the PA, and then I realised it was people singing along - three chords, and people went nutz - and a large dose of humble pie for me :) So, I know nothing - you have to follow your heart I guess, and analytics be damned.

B

Bruno, I think the non-musician audience members like to hear something that is familiar to them, something they can dance to and sing along with. I suppose so they can participate and become part of the band momentarily. That's one reason my former gigging band's set list was filled with three and four chord cover songs like Johnny B, Goode, Move It On Over, I Hear You Knockin', Sweet Home Alabama etc. These songs would fill the dance floor every time where as Carry On My Wayward Son and I Wish You Were Here never would. As a musician I loved playing the more challenging and complicated songs that strayed from the 4/4 beat but as a performer I loved the crowd reaction (and gig $$) to the simpler songs even though I cringed when we played them for the thousandth time.

That's still the reason I write a lot of three and four chord songs but I always try to add something of interest if I can, such as a bridge change or a stop. But sometimes it's a straight up 4/4 three chord that does the trick so I just go with it hoping to connect with the listener.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Blooby

I like it all. I have little problem listening to The Mahavishnu Orchestra or Gentle Giant and then throwing on Bad Company or John Lee Hooker.  If I'm playing a gig, I'll try to tease the former acts and their ilk, but I don't think most people want to be subjected to that over the long haul.  I am always super-pleased when somebody recognizes something challenging or esoteric, though. It should be noted that if I try to play fusion or jazz around my girlfriend, she will threaten bodily harm.

As a fan of improvisational music, a lot of the base tracks are simple, but the interaction among musicians can get interesting quickly. And I could be talking about Miles Davis or John Coltrane doing their modal thing or just as easily be talking about Phish or Derek Trucks taking a tune out into the stratosphere.

I am also intrigued with complex music that sounds simple. That is a gift. When people are moving their rear ends to 5/4 or 7/8 or I hear a simple vocal melody over insane Travis picking, it puts a smile on my face. Maybe the key is some sort of groove, regardless of how simple or complex it is. Having said that, I could put on an intriguing Indian alap, which are in free time, and listen to them all day.

I said a lot without saying anything really. Would that be Zen or just stupidity?

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

gimme eno over  the mahavishnu orchestra any day. lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: oldrottenhead on April 20, 2014, 08:58:54 AMgimme eno over  the mahavishnu orchestra any day. lol.

I was waiting for somebody to come in with a comment like this. Suffice to say, I like beer and scotch. I'll let you guys argue which band is beer vs. the scotch.

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on April 20, 2014, 07:31:06 AM
Quote from: bruno on April 20, 2014, 05:51:25 AMI went to see some bands recently. The more you write and record, to more that you decompose and analyse - and I was horrified how many songs have exactly the same 4 chord progression - and I mean exactly the same. I found it really boring and dull - however that could be a grumpy old man thang :) However, is its the 'classic' song structure.

B

Bruno, I think the non-musician audience members like to hear something that is familiar to them, something they can dance to and sing along with. I suppose so they can participate and become part of the band momentarily. That's one reason my former gigging band's set list was filled with three and four chord cover songs like Johnny B, Goode, Move It On Over, I Hear You Knockin', Sweet Home Alabama etc. These songs would fill the dance floor every time where as Carry On My Wayward Son and I Wish You Were Here never would. As a musician I loved playing the more challenging and complicated songs that strayed from the 4/4 beat but as a performer I loved the crowd reaction (and gig $$) to the simpler songs even though I cringed when we played them for the thousandth time.

That's still the reason I write a lot of three and four chord songs but I always try to add something of interest if I can, such as a bridge change or a stop. But sometimes it's a straight up 4/4 three chord that does the trick so I just go with it hoping to connect with the listener.

Farrell

Having said all this, I must confess that I am totally bored with the simple songs I've been writing lately. That's why I've not been in a rush to finish off the three I have in the works. I guess I'm feeling the need to do something more musically challenging...something huge and out of my safety zone. But nothing is on the horizon so for now I'm in waiting mode. I fall into this rut every now and then until some idea or pallet cleanser comes along that pushes me to excel and then it's back to simplicity.

Anyone else ever get to this spot?

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert