Songwriting: Simple versus Complex

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 08, 2011, 09:12:28 AM

maxit

@geir - I forgot to comment! You made that amazing version of my favorite Nilsson song! great one. coconut was a 7 chord!
recorder
Audacity

AndyR

This is a well interesting thread - I pretty much agree with everyone's comments. I'm mostly like Greeny, I just go with what comes. If I get stuck, I just bung a "daft" chord in to see what happens. Sometimes I use it, sometime it suggests something else.

On the "one chord" song idea... technically, you'd have a bit of a problem - the melody line isn't really separate from the harmony, it is actually part of, and modifies, the chords themselves. That's why we like melodies moving through harmony.

So if you decide "C is my one chord", you can only really use C, E, and G in your melody line :D

For example, the minute you sing a 9th over a chord (eg a D over a C, ready to resolve the melody up to an E or down to a C - I like doing this a lot) the chord is now a 9th.

In this situation, as a guitarist, I get tempted to actually play a 9th because it's a groovy chord and it sounds good on its own. But for the sake of the song/arrangement, it's often far more effective to quell the guitarist in me and make him play a straight C chord and let the melody line take the D on its own. What the listener hears is still C9 harmony, though, even if he/she attributes it to a "nice melody" instead.

Possibly, this is why "simple" songs often work so well? With an inventive melody, you are hearing some potentially CRAZY chords being performed (even more so if backing singers, for example, are doing interesting some interesting lines). But the guys in the band just think they're playing the good old I, IV, V three-chord-trick.

Before I post though... as a guitarist, I do think exactly like the rest of you - a "one chord song" is one where I only play one guitar chord... it doesn't matter where the melody and other harmony might roam, I'll defend (to the death) its right to be called a one chord song! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Kevin Mammoth

Quote from: AndyR on October 14, 2011, 02:10:11 AMBefore I post though... as a guitarist, I do think exactly like the rest of you - a "one chord song" is one where I only play one guitar chord... it doesn't matter where the melody and other harmony might roam, I'll defend (to the death) its right to be called a one chord song! :D

ditto - the vocals, bass, lead etc can do what they like, if the rhythm guitar plays 1 chord throughout then it's a one chord song for me.  Sure, it could get tricky - eg one chord with a little riff here and there, how does that fit in?  But I think it's one of those "you know it when you hear it" things...
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Geir

BUMP BAIT ALERT !!
Andy pretty much summed up how I feel to re the one-chord song issue.

It is complicated tho (::)) what if you finger-pick that chord, like on the "Coconut" song I covered. It's one chord, but almost sounds like two. I also did an original that has just a simple riff that  (as far as I can remember) is mostly a variation over one (or maybe two) chords. I hadn't heard Coconut when I made it but listening now I see hear some similarities in the "feel" of the riff versus the feel of the fingerpicking. My point is that one chord can be made to sound differently with some variations in either the picking, the phrasing or the position on the neck (or keyboard). Adding harmony-vocals with notes not in the basic chord would also make for some variation, thi this might be bordering on cheating I would say it would be ok to do it to not limit ourselfs too much.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

Ha, my last one had 0 chords and was in R.E.T.A.R.D. tuning! ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SdC

Ok, I think a single chord song challenge would be interesting.
How it could work is: you can select any chord you like (guitar: 6 notes, keyboard: 10 notes) and only use those notes in the song (guitar: fretting-hand kept still, piano: keep hands in position over keys)

recorder
Boss BR-600

Oldrottenhead

or we could have a fest with just mad chords, diminished and those other complex ones.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Quote from: SdC on October 14, 2011, 11:10:52 AMOk, I think a single chord song challenge would be interesting.
How it could work is: you can select any chord you like (guitar: 6 notes, keyboard: 10 notes) and only use those notes in the song (guitar: fretting-hand kept still, piano: keep hands in position over keys)

I like this - Six separate notes on a guitar/bass would be plenty.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Glenn Mitchell

Hmm - a chord has several notes (usually 3 to 5) and many inversion options. So the number of notes is huge if you include octaves.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Gu Djin

I seem to remember a discussion similar to this earlier this year after I put up a simple tune.   erm called "after the storm".  But although it was based on a single chord the melody and bass developed it's complexity.  Was it planned.  No.  It just came out of my head.  Would it fit into a challenge?  Don't know.  But it would be interesting to try one again.

It would be an interesting challenge

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7622.0;attach=7591
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X