Songwriting: Simple versus Complex

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 08, 2011, 09:12:28 AM

Gritter

I usually prefer the simpler approach when writing because it's easier to remember when performing. I'd rather have 10 simple songs I can play than 5 complex ones.

As a listener it totally depends on the song. I'm usually turned off by music that is trying to impress with complex chording and arrangements. It loses me pretty quick. On the other hand, if complex chording serves the melody well and still sounds simple, I'm impressed. That is not an easy feat but it should sound easy (if you follow me). Paul Simon is a good example. A ton of chords under a simple instantly memorable melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x-SXYRZBYk

Oldrottenhead

QuoteDitto...unless the song sucks.   ;)
that is a most profound statement sandy i agree with it 100% and that is quite a lot, well for me anyway.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Counts for me as well.... ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

some of my favourite songs have only one chord
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

maxit

Just to share my experience about this, I find that with years I most often tend to rely on 3 chords and a little bunch of notes, while young I wanted more complex, even 'jazzy' songs. What does it mean? I dont know, maybe only that I'm getting older ;-)
recorder
Audacity

I don't really have a lot to add, most of it's been said but, simple or complex, as a writer I want to touch people emotionally. Whether with love, anger and all in between. Some classical music can move me to tears, no words but a series of notes that evoke memories or wishes as can simple songs with words that pull you into a story that again touches the soul. It all looks a bit pretentious written down but I guess most of you will know what I mean............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

henwrench

As a consumer, it depends what I'm after at the time. As a pipe smoker, I'm currently enjoying a bowl of Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls in my Irishmade Army 999. It is a simple smoke, dark fruit and spice. I equally enjoy Royal Yacht, an incredibly complex tobacco that has to be smoked slowly and treated with respect, but the rewards are infinite.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

Wow! This discussion has garnered a lot of comments on the subject of simple versus complex. I tend to lean towards 64 guitars' and Hooper's thoughts that "A simple song can capture the listener's attention on the first listen." and "I do agree with the basic premise that a simpler song and arrangement tends to be immediately more accessible to a broader audience." Not to say that the other comments aren't valid. I think every one's comments have some merit. There's probably no right or wrong answer to this and a lot of it just comes down to personal taste and perception......one man's junk is another man's treasure. T.C Elliott's comment about missing the times when he could just enjoy a song as a casual listener instead of analyzing the details as a musician hits home with me. In that respect, as a musician, I tend to enjoy the performance and production skill that goes into a song rather than the actual songwriting. I miss the days of just hearing the overall song and enjoying it.....I'm going to consciously work on that.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Greeny

I don't ever sit down to write simple or complex songs - they find their own structure, and fall as they will. For me, it's all about the chord changes. If you can find a nice unexpected chord change and a vocal melody to go with it, you're in business. 

So I don't think it's about the chords themselves - it's how you use them. Good songwriters should be able to produce the goods with two or three chords, as they're only a foundation for the melody.

Something like that, lol.