my blog about classic literature

Started by FuzzFace, October 05, 2011, 07:48:33 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: IanR on October 07, 2011, 06:20:53 AMDracula by Bram Stoker

I just read that for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'm currently reading "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" by Howard Pyle. The language reminds me of Shakespeare with many strange words like "thee", "thou", "dost", "quoth", "nay", "sooth", and "wot", but I'm enjoying it anyway. :)

By the way, is anybody using an eBook reader? I bought an Aluratek Libre Pro about a year ago and I really like it. I can download thousands of free eBooks and read them in bed. All of the great classics are available online for free (copyright has expired). Here are a few good sites where you can download free eBooks:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

I have not read a book other than tech manuals in over 20 years.

Am I on an island?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

peterp

When you said "classic literature" I thought you meant original early playboy editions!

Haven't read a real book since I got into IT (about 1974).

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Facemask93

I'm with you tony , i love a good manual , but , non fiction does it for me , The Krays , Manson , JFK , conspiracy theories , how its made , how its done , i must get out more , or just read better books , but they do say , bullshit baffles brains

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

launched

Quote from: Tony W on October 07, 2011, 09:46:39 AMI have not read a book other than tech manuals in over 20 years.

Am I on an island?

Not quite an island of one - I'm an RTFM guy through and through. But I love reading my share of science fiction and action as well...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

looks like we got ourselves a reader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 07, 2011, 08:27:33 AMBy the way, is anybody using an eBook reader? I bought an Aluratek Libre Pro about a year ago and I really like it.

I got an Amazon Kindle a couple of years ago - I just finished Bram Stoker's 'Lair of the White Worm', another expired copyright title - a neat little gothic horror story.

In addition to free books out there (which are excellent), you can also get MobiPocket collections that are usually priced from $2.99 to $4.99 and contain all, or nearly all of an author's work - and very well put together, too. I've been reading Edgar Allen Poe, George Orwell, H.P. Lovecraft, Oscar Wilde, P.G. Wodehouse, and others at my leisure. I also have some Jim Thompson, Charles Willeford, and Philip K. Dick titles on the Kindle. It's nice to be able to have an entire library you can access any time in a device the size of an industry paperback. :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on October 07, 2011, 11:59:39 PMI got an Amazon Kindle a couple of years ago - I just finished Bram Stoker's 'Lair of the White Worm', another expired copyright title - a neat little gothic horror story.

Thanks for the tip. I might read that one next. I just downloaded it from Project Gutenberg.

I see that there was a 1988 Ken Russell film based on the book too. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Q-PyZxZjw

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

^^^^

I love that trashy film! Typical Ken Russell, lol. Amanda Donohoe is awesome in it.

thetworegs

I've been reading Edgar Allen poe, aloud here's a sample Live from the living room mistakes and all..............i must remember i can read with my mouth shut too..........probably best next time........
Time:
0:00
Volume:

If Life is a dream then use your imagination