Unsupported format! help

Started by 89strat, December 29, 2008, 01:45:19 PM

89strat

Hello all-
I can't seem to get this backing track to play on my Micro BR; keep get an Unsupported format! error. I've tried converting it to different bit rate MP3s and to a WAV file using both Audacity and Switch Sound, but none will play.

Any ideas on file format settings or ??? that I'm missing?

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/allman_brothers/statesboro_blues.htm

Great site--been learning a lot!

64Guitars

That MP3 file was sampled at 48kHz which is not supported by the Micro BR. Resample it at 44.1kHz and it should work just fine. You should be able to do that in Audacity or Switch.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

89strat

Thanks for the reply and all the helpful info you've provided on this board, 64!

Tony W

Are there any other limitations besides sample rates?
I have multiple songs that are 192kbs at 44.1khz but 20% of songs are showing up as unsupported format.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

I find that if I open them in Wavepad and then save as MP3 they usually work
BTW great choice of backer ;) 8)
When you've had a few goes we'd love to hear your take :)

Tony W

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot tonight. This is day 3 of ownership of the Micro BR, and I finally launched an "easy to play" song at 70% of actual speed. Talk about connecting the dots! I now understand that playing a "D" doesn't mean you absolutely have to strum 4 strings every time.
My ability to play the guitar has climbed from "Intolerable" to  "Embarrassing". While that is quite an upgrade, I'm far from the point where I'd be comfortable to post anything I've done.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bro

Quote from: impudent1 on April 02, 2009, 07:28:18 AMI'm far from the point where I'd be comfortable to post anything I've done.

Took some time from me to, but take your time and when you feel you have done a good song. Post it! There is something for everyone in here, thats what is so great about this place! :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Ted

A little bump to acknowledge that I should have found this post ... 2022 minus 2008 ... 14 years ago.

I frequently have problems with MP3s not playing on my Micro BR. I just did an analysis to see what was the difference between the MP3s that would and those that wouldn't play. Turns out 48 kHz won't (Unsupported Format!) and 44.1 kHz will play – just like it says in this post.

If you are geeky enough to run ffmpeg on your computer, this is how I converted the offending MP3s:

ffmpeg -i BADFILE.mp3 -ar 44100 NEWFILE.mp3
I can't tell you how much time I've spent frustrated with this problem, and the weird workarounds I've tried up until now.

Thanks 64Guitars!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac