Replacing chords - jazz comping?

Started by dasilvasings, September 26, 2011, 10:34:09 AM

dasilvasings

Hi,

I spoke with a Jazz pianist, and he was telling me about how they replace chords in Jazz (e.g. where mortals read Am, they read Dm7+b9 (??)) I understand adding 7th and so on, but replacing the chord/ root???

Anyone knows a simple book / link where I can learn more about this? Any magical words for me to google?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SdC

It comes back in many forms and shapes. Once you realize it's there you can find it across most musical genres. It's basically the inversion (A-D or G-C or Em-Am etc., very simple on guitar, a bit tricky-er on keyboard) of the chord, but then "juiced up" with harmonic(s) that can, for instance walk the bass line to the next chord or a pinky-hammer-on, emphasizing the scale and mode of the song. That's the simple break-down I keep in the back of my head when the moment is there to improvise, the beat is pumping and the adrenaline flowing. No time to think about complicated stuff. Need simple building blocks.

recorder
Boss BR-600

maxit

Ok, let's try to be useful... I studied jazz and never understood it well, but I remember a very very classic harmony rule, that says that there are many chords, but only 3 of them matters: I, IV and V. The others are similar in sound (2 notes in common) and 'function'.

That is to say that in C major key you can take:
I=C, as 'relax' function, and the similar ones are Em, Am
IV=F as 'tension' function, and the similar one is Dm
V=G as 'suspension' function, and the similar one is Bdim

Coming to you, let's say that if you have a F it is quite realistic you can replace with Dm; C with Em or Am; G with Bdim (and viceversa-the contrary).

There's a secondary rule that says that Am can be also interpreted as a tension, Em as suspension, so you can also try, if it sounds good: changing F with Am; G with Em (and viceversa). That's a simplifed explaination (and the only one I remember, you can google "Hugo Riemann" if you want to be sure
recorder
Audacity

dasilvasings

Thanks guys. This is really interesting. I'll do some research.

BTW finally I understand the jazzier II-V-I is nothing but an alternative to the 'punkier' I-IV-V (different order)!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

You're right ! do you want to laugh? Some says that IV is only a 'preparation' for going to V, so why make life difficult? we can limit to I and V....
recorder
Audacity

dasilvasings

I would go further! Why bring more stress to life? 'I' from beginning to the end!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

recorder
Audacity