BR-80 eBand Song List Editor

Started by simont, September 19, 2011, 03:11:25 PM

Thanks for your quick answer LXIV.

I have no problems browsing the files and folders on the drive, the "DB" folder contains all the files you mentioned, plus folders named "000", "003" and "004", which contain eBand-files (mp3, J8I).

...what to try next?  ???

64Guitars

What is the volume name of the memory card? If it's not "BR-80 eBand", you'll get the "unit not found" error.

Have you tried using the card that came with your BR-80? If that works, then you just need to work out what's different about your other card.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64, you saved my day!!  ;D ;D ;D

My mistake was that I copied the folder structure to a new, bigger, faster SD card. What I did not know is that this card has to be named "BR-80 eBand". This fact is never mentioned in the manuals ... should be included in the FAQ.

You don't even have to establish USB connection with the BR-80, it is sufficient to insert the correctly named SD card into the PC and everything works!

Thanks again, you are my hero!  9{}

64Guitars

Glad you got it working.

You should always initialize a new memory card in the BR before using it. Initialization formats the card, installs the needed folders and files (except the eBand folders, I think), and sets the volume name to "BR-80 eBand". Although the manual doesn't specifically say that the volume name has to be set to "BR-80 eBand", it does say (on page 115)...

Before you use a commercially available SD card, you must format it on the BR-80.

So, if you always initialize new cards as they advise, then you'll always have the correct volume name because initialization sets it to "BR-80 eBand".

What they don't tell you is that initialization does not create a new, empty song as it did in all previous BR models. With the BR-80, you have to create the new song yourself (see page 57). Also, I don't think it recreates the eBand folders. I could be wrong about that as I don't have access to a BR-80, but I think a few BR-80 users here have mentioned that they lost their eBand folders after initialization. In that case, you'd need to get the Factory Restore archive I mentioned earlier and copy the "JS" folder from it to the memory card.

Quote from: violakurt on April 17, 2013, 11:37:00 AMYou don't even have to establish USB connection with the BR-80, it is sufficient to insert the correctly named SD card into the PC and everything works!

Yes, that's true for all of the BR software, including the Rhythm Editor, Wave Converter, and my own BR Explorer and BR Song Librarian. The software doesn't communicate with the processor in the BR. It merely accesses the files on the memory card. So it doesn't matter if the memory card is in the BR or in a memory card reader attached to your computer. Either way, the software will work the same.

I take advantage of this all the time. My BR-864 is downstairs in my living room while my computer is upstairs in a spare bedroom which I use as an office. Rather than disconnect all of the cables from the BR and bring it upstairs to attach it to my computer via USB, I simply pop out the memory card and put it into a USB card reader attached to my computer. Then I can use any of the BR software while leaving my BR-864 downstairs. I find it much more convenient. Of course, the BR-80 is much smaller than the BR-864, so it isn't as much of an issue to carry it to wherever your computer is. But you still have to disconnect any cables that are attached to the BR-80 before you can take it to your computer (if it's in another room as mine is). So popping out the memory card still might be more convenient as you can leave your BR-80 connected to monitor speakers, headphones, power adapter, etc. Saves wear and tear on those cables and connectors too.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website