Is this a bonkers idea?

Started by chip, September 18, 2011, 09:56:15 AM

chip

Hi and here goes... I use old, very old valve amps, due to our band being on the spacey side of life
I use 3 pedals, Phaser, delay and distortion, however there can be a lot of interference when using
these with my ancient amps. The main problem being distortion. When the pedal is engaged I get
what can only be described as a steam train blowing it's horn while passing through a bridge, with
both valve amps.

Now...... here's my idea. Can I use the silver one instead of either the lot of them or to replace the
 distortion box and how do I go about it? There are no effects loop stuff in these amps.

I know I can fiddle about with volume etc to get the overdrive, but I tend to go on stage full on,
sing and also deal with lights, so I have no time for messing with volume pots.

The little box has some real freaky sounds that may add to our spaced out rock & roll
but the steam train may still be there even if I use it...... Cheers
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Burtog

What do you mean?   'Can I use the silver one instead'

How big are the old valve amps??
recorder
Boss BR-800

chip

Quote from: Burtog on September 18, 2011, 10:17:42 AMWhat do you mean?   'Can I use the silver one instead'

How big are the old valve amps??

The MBR as an effects unit, the old amps are a Roost 100 watt combo and a
Selmer compact 30 watt combo. I think what I am saying is
" Can I use the MBR effects through the amp/s on stage and if so how?"
Apoligies for the confusion........................

Glenn Mitchell

Yes you can.
I have a 1/8 stereo out to two amps. (One of them is a 60 black face deluxe Reverb.)
You might need to build a "deck" for it so you can do changes as it doesn't work that well to stomp on it.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

chip

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on September 18, 2011, 08:27:19 PMYes you can.
I have a 1/8 stereo out to two amps. (One of them is a 60 black face deluxe Reverb.)
You might need to build a "deck" for it so you can do changes as it doesn't work that well to stomp on it.

I only need it to one amp, so is it 1/8 out of the MBR ( line out) to 1/4 jack connected to the
amp, then a normal guitar lead from the MBR (1/4 jack) to the guitar?

What does it sound like when you do it?

SdC

I think you'll need to keep the output level very very low on the MBR to avoid extreme distortion.

recorder
Boss BR-600

chip

Right ...... I just connected the MBR to a solid state upstairs, it worked.
 I can't test the valve amps, ones down the practice room, the other,   gone
 to be sorted, I called Roland, they say I can connect the pedals and use the MBR
 in the chain, not sure on that one though as.......... 1: I have left them down the room
2: Would it work.

To lower the output I adjusted the sensitivity. Is that right?
And yes I will need something to keep it from falling off my effects table
 a sort of ironing board with a smaller top about 4 ft high , I like to twiddle,
 I could use velcro if pushed, I do for the delay and phaser.

cuthbert

Quote from: chip on September 19, 2011, 10:39:33 AMTo lower the output I adjusted the sensitivity. Is that right?

The sensitivity is for input only, so in this case just lower the volume using the volume dial on the left.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

chip

Quote from: cuthbert on September 19, 2011, 10:43:57 AM
Quote from: chip on September 19, 2011, 10:39:33 AMTo lower the output I adjusted the sensitivity. Is that right?

The sensitivity is for input only, so in this case just lower the volume using the volume dial on the left.

Cheers Cuthbert.....

Rata-tat-tat

Chip... one thing you want to keep in mind... the MBR will power cycle off if it is not in Play or Record mode. If you are just using it for effects this will be a problem if you are recording while you play you should be fine...
recorder
Tascam DP-02