Strats with humbuckers?

Started by Bro, December 27, 2008, 03:43:09 PM

lemonstar

Agreed - the strat sound is all about single coils - I liked the physical feel of that fat strat more than I'd expected (and Ilike the h/b sound) and I wasn't a strat fan first and foremost as most of my favourite guitarists tend to play guitars with h/b's however - my Aria has 3 single coils and it's versatile but I wnet out looking for a twin h/b sysytem and couldn't find something I liked at the right price.

Anyway - left my bid until the last 20s and it didn't make it in time - shame as it would (probably I guess) have won the auction.

guitarron

Quote from: lemonstar on January 18, 2009, 02:58:41 PMAgreed - the strat sound is all about single coils -
back in the early 80's i bastardized a hard tail strat with a pyramid pickup-
it had a ferocious Van Halenesque tone.
the things kids do
we didnt have the abundance of guitar configurations available as we do today
i regret i don't still have that guitar today

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I had a buddy who went through Ibanez, Curbow, G&L, Musicman and other guitars, and he was always a little sad that he couldn't get a Strat tone.   I contend that few guitars sound like a Strat with 3 single-coils (especially in positions 2 and 4).  They fight you every step of the way, compared to a Les Paul, but damn, if they don't sound great if you can tame one.

Two cents for the day/month.

Blooby

On another note, I always liked Jimmy Herring's tone with his bastardized Strat with the humbuckers.

dragonshade

Quote from: lemonstar on January 14, 2009, 01:31:57 PMI don't know why Aria don't seem to get much recognition.

Back in the mid eighties my buddy had an Aria Pro II, way different body though...very heavy guitar. By far one of the best guitars I have EVER played. It would literally "sing" through the wood. Neck-thru body and an ebony fretboard. I could still kick him for not selling it to me. And then he <yuck> replaced it with a Kramer.

The Reverend 48

Before I had any Proper Humbucker guitars...I added a hot rail pick up to my '89 Strat plus.....It doesn't affect the "integrity" of the guitar but definately gives more bite and it is easy enough to replace the lace sensor. BTW the lace sensors are great when I first got the guitar I was forever checking it was on cos its so quiet......

Greeny

Quote from: forte8 on January 30, 2009, 03:07:48 AMBefore I had any Proper Humbucker guitars...I added a hot rail pick up to my '89 Strat plus.....It doesn't affect the "integrity" of the guitar but definately gives more bite and it is easy enough to replace the lace sensor. BTW the lace sensors are great when I first got the guitar I was forever checking it was on cos its so quiet......

That, right there, is a thing of beauty. I can't decide what I want more - one like that, or a white one with a tortoise-shell pickguard.

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Greeny on January 30, 2009, 03:50:24 AMThat, right there, is a thing of beauty. I can't decide what I want more - one like that, or a white one with a tortoise-shell pickguard.

If anybody seriously is interested it could be for sale BTW its Immaculate with the best flamed maple neck I have ever seen!

Greeny

Quote from: forte8 on January 30, 2009, 04:01:29 AM
Quote from: Greeny on January 30, 2009, 03:50:24 AMThat, right there, is a thing of beauty. I can't decide what I want more - one like that, or a white one with a tortoise-shell pickguard.

If anybody seriously is interested it could be for sale BTW its Immaculate with the best flamed maple neck I have ever seen!

I can only dream about owning something like that at the moment...  :'(

Bluesberry

why not just get a Fender Jaguar?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

Get a Strat, and just rip the bridge pickup out (you don't need it anyway).  ;D

I personally prefer the sounds from the neck and middle pickups.
Match it up with a tube screamer pedal, and a tube amp, and you are in heaven. The noise is just part of the package.

I agree with the Rev to though. Hotrails are pretty sweet if you need a humbucker sound.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover