Amp suggestions for gigging

Started by Tony W, September 14, 2011, 07:03:57 AM

Tony W

Knee surgery for me again in less than 12 hours... I am going to have a lot of down time to drool over amps. I got a feeling that I know what I am going to get though. I have tried everything local stay tuned....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

LOL! Right now about all I can do is fall over backwards! Surgery went well, I'm on the couch for the next week or so. Time to google the shit out of some amps, and Tab the shit out of some songs.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chip

When I had the hernia op I did the same, sat down for 6 weeks, played the guitars
 recorded some stuff, sat down with some music books and didn't pull any amps about.
I made a full recovery and enjoyed it. Take your time out.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Tony W

Well, after trying every kind of amp available in the store, I settled on the Blackstar Series One 100w head. I'm going to try it with a few cabs to see what I think of it. Saijin and I spent a lot of time chatting up amps, and aside from hearing exactly what I wanted out of it's little 60w combo, there's one feature that I think is the difference maker.

It has a DPR (Dynamic Power Reduction) control, basically controlling the output power to be reduced to 10 watts in linear increments without loss of tone or valve reliability. Pure valve output distortion and compression at any volume....

In a nutshell, that was the amp within my price range that had what I was looking for.

FYI Blackstar was founded by a bunch of Marshall engineers.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jim1970

Blackstar!! NICE!!!!!

I am a Fan of those amps too!
YEP it was the creation of guys from MARSHALL.
you can't go wrong with that amp TONY!
Have fun Jamming and Gigging.

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

That amp has some nice features. Any way you could post a sound
sample of it in action? I'd like to hear it.

Gene

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Speed Demon

I've used a Peavey 120 watt 5150 head to drive my cabinets for many years, so I'm not an authority on
any of the newer amps. The 5150 is just raw relentless power with an effects loop as its only feature,
other than tone controls for two channels. I plug a Digitech Studio 400 effects processor in that loop.
This is a very good amp for the guitarist that demands massive sustain for lead work.

On the other hand there are many fine amps to choose from that will not send you to the poorhouse
trying to pay for it. When I bought mine the price was $640.00.
Now prices start at $1,000.00 and go higher, depending on where you find one.

If you like solid state, there are some nice rack-mounted preamp/FX devices available as well.
I still use a Rocktron Chameleon I purchased way back in the pre-fossil days. Still producing killer amp tones
and effects.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Tony W

The amp came in early, so I demoed cabs. I wound up going with a Marshall 1960A Lead cab. I liked the pair together, and.... it has casters...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR