Definition of "Live in the Living Room" theme

Started by FuzzFace, September 02, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

FuzzFace

Originally posted in Live In The Living Room Fest - Eric Clapton cover - Change The World - Farrell:

This is probably not the right thread to ask, but what is the definition of this theme?

64Guitars

Quote from: FuzzFace on September 02, 2011, 01:58:30 PMOriginally posted in Live In The Living Room Fest - Eric Clapton cover - Change The World - Farrell:

This is probably not the right thread to ask, but what is the definition of this theme?

You're right. It wasn't the right topic, so I moved it here to General Discussion.

I usually post a description of the winning festival in the poll topic shortly after the poll closes. In this case, the description for "Live in the Living Room" is here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=12127.msg161997#msg161997

I'll quote it here for your convenience:

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 31, 2011, 10:12:13 PMVoting is closed. The Theme/Genre festival for Sept/Oct will be...

Live in the Living Room

That's recordings made without multitracking/overdubbing. Typically, this means singing and playing guitar at the same time. But you could also record with a friend or two, as long as you all play at the same time (as opposed to multitracking or overdubbing). It should also be recorded live at home in your living room or any other room of the house, as opposed to live at a bar, club, etc. in front of an audience.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

ive just recorded me and the juno di. juno di was plugged into a set of pc speakers, hit a drumloop and played some very basic chords using the eden piano patch and sang recording it all via the mbr onboard mic, so hope it counts for litr, mastering now.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 02, 2011, 02:43:07 PMive just recorded me and the juno di. juno di was plugged into a set of pc speakers, hit a drumloop and played some very basic chords using the eden piano patch and sang recording it all via the mbr onboard mic, so hope it counts for litr, mastering now.

Glad you brought that up. I had a listen to your recording of Biko (nice job!) and added it to the Live in the Living Room jukebox. But it made me think of something that we should clarify now. I think the idea of Live in the Living Room is to play and sing without relying on multitracking or other technologies to add other parts. Typically, this will mean singing while strumming a guitar. But there's no reason why other instruments such as keyboards can't be used instead. However, many modern keyboard instruments are capable of a great deal of automation. For example, my Yamaha keyboard has a built-in 16-track sequencer, drum machine, automatic chord accompaniment, automatic bass, voice layering, and it plays standard midi files. Since this festival aims for minimalism, I think we should resist the temptation to use all that stuff. So we should turn off the drum machine, auto chords, auto bass, layering, sequencing and midi files, and just play a simple, non-layered patch such as piano, organ, strings, or whatever.

If you want to use a drum machine to aid in timekeeping, I'd suggest using the BR's drums. Then, when you master the song, you can switch the drums off so that you're left with just the music and vocals that you actually played live.

No need to redo this without the drums. But maybe we could all keep this in mind from now on.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

next one will be minus drums will use my heartbeat for guidance
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann