Writing music in your sleep

Started by 64Guitars, August 29, 2011, 01:32:07 PM

64Guitars

This is interesting (if true).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14706864

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_east/7017059.stm

Lee Hadwin claims he creates artwork in his sleep. I'm a bit skeptical since I don't understand how he can see what he's doing if he's asleep. It's possible to sleep with the eyes open (nocturnal lagophthalmos), but it takes more than open eyes to see. The information from the eyes must be processed and interpreted by the brain, and I don't see how that can happen if you're asleep. Maybe Doctor Alfredo can tell us if this is possible.

Anyway, in the interview he mentions that some musicians write music in their sleep. Has anyone here done that?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

I have the best ideas just as I'm waking up, but then lose it as soon as I'm awake.

Most frustrating
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

lg

I had a dream a year ago about being up on stage playing guitar,
and the place was packed...shoulder-to-shoulder, and everyone was
dancing to my music!When I mentioned it to someone, they said,
well, why don't you record it....what you were playing.
So, I did, and I've got it posted here somewhere....
So, I guess that that makes me living proof that it is possible to
write music in your sleep.
Or, what about Paul McCartney, he said that he wrote yesterday
in his sleep....

LG

nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Farrell Jackson

I not sure about the drawing bit but yes....as unbelievable, odd, or strange as it sounds.....people do write songs in their sleep. Like LG, it's happened to me once. I had a dream about playing the acoustic rhythm to this song. I then heard the melody and saw the title...Trippin' Down A Different Road. When I woke up, I picked up my guitar straight away and played it. The lyric followed based on the title.

I have to admit though the song sounded much better in my dream  :) This is the only time that has ever happened to me but I sure would welcome it again.

Here's a link to the song if you want to hear what I dreamed up.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11000102&q=hi&newref=1

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Migs

I am not a good sleeper.  I drift in and out and am generally a light sleeper.  The apnoea dodoesn't help much either... but...

When I was doing a thesis on something years ago I was pretty sure I was having the most excellent scintific insights between my fits and starts of sleep.  I decided to get a dictaphone and record my undoubtedly Einstine-esque thoughts.  The world would surely be saved.

Wrong.  Absolute gibberish.

I do much better on a few bottles of red than when drifting in and out of sleep.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

T.C. Elliott

In a book I read nearly 20 years ago it was said that Stevie Ray Vaughan learned a riff in a dream and woke up and wrote a song around it. (I forget which one... it HAS been nearly 20 years.)

I had a strange strange dream last night that would actually be a darn fine play or movie or novel. I even wrote a song today that kind of summarizes the result of the plot twist near the end. So I didn't write the song in the dream, but if it weren't for the dream I'd have not written the song.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

i wrte novels in my dreams or do hilarious stand up routines and write fabulous songs too, but when i wake up...........................................pppfft!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gritter

I hear full arrangements with orchestration, horn sections, background singers just as I'm falling asleep and it's almost impossible to get up from it to record or write. I never remember in the morning but I do believe it remains in the subconscious and will eventially seep it's way into the conscious mind disguised as new material.

T.C. Elliott

I think that Johnny Cash said he dreamed of the mariachi horns being added to 'ring of fire' but it's been years (YEARS I TELL YA) since I read that autobiography
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

IanR

I can fly in my dreams and I also have very satisfying sexual encounters.  If the impossible is true whilst dreaming then writing a song would be piece of piss.   :D

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One