Is your songwriting wave still going strong or is it gone?

Started by Farrell Jackson, August 26, 2011, 02:57:20 PM

Oldrottenhead

lol, the stuff in my earholes was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

T.C. Elliott

To contradict myself and agree with fuzzface, taking a break is good. In that 10 songwriting tips e-book I contributed to one of my (i think it was mine *Ponder*) tips when you were stuck or uninspired was to take a walk. Walk around the neighborhood, watch the birds, see if any kids are out on their bikes, take the dog for a walk or play fetch. Whatever you do just forget about what you were worrying about and enjoy the scenery. And sometimes you'll still think about music, but often letting your brain think or enjoy something else will be like hitting the reset button.

And I'll second the reading and watching cool movies. I get inspired by things other than music and music related things. Although lately if I hear a really good song sometimes I've just gotta pick up the guitar and since I"m not very good at playing what comes out is usually different and I end up writing a song.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

collaboration is nother way bouncing ideas off of others gets my juices flowing.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Glenn Mitchell

Nope ..Nothing.. I keep buying new gear hoping it will kick in again. Until then I'm reworking my existing songs. Amazing how something you thought was great, sounds like crap within a few weeks.
Maybe I'll go back to painting.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

chapperz66

I have never had a block as such.  My problem is finishing.  (I'm talking about music writing here, not any of my other problems - although come to think of it.....best not to go there) ;)

I reckon I probably start about 10 pieces for every one I finish.

#gpmproject

No..my best days has gone... in 90's when I was a member of my rock band, I wrote, about 300 songs every year with my friend. I had one guitar, one bass and poor small amp. Now I've got home recording studio, but no ideas.. :'( just sometimes...

64Guitars

Quote from: chapperz66 on August 29, 2011, 04:33:55 AMMy problem is finishing.

I have the same problem with recording. I started recording three songs for BeatlesFest which I never completed. In July, I started one for FolkFest and haven't got back to it. And there have been many other recording projects I started and didn't finish. It seems that if I don't return to a project within a few days of starting it, I never will. My enthusiasm for it is gone.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website