Is your songwriting wave still going strong or is it gone?

Started by Farrell Jackson, August 26, 2011, 02:57:20 PM

Farrell Jackson

Have you ever experienced a songwriting waves that crashes to a halt? One that last a while where the good song/lyric ideas just seem to come out of nowhere so fast and furious that it's hard to get them all properly recorded ?

Well, I've been on one since about 1998 but it seems to have slowed, if not stopped, in the last few months. Before that each time I'd pick up an acoustic guitar or pen I would have a new idea....either music or lyric. It didn't matter because most times one would feed the other. Now I do the same and I'm at a loss. So I've been pulling from the tons of quickly recorded/scratch pad song ideas I've saved...thank goodness for those or I would be real bummed!

Just wondering if it has happened to any of you and if so....what did you to get back on the wave?

Farrell jackson
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Oldrottenhead

happened to me this afternoon had a few precious hours and nothing was coming, then having no muse inspired a song.

it might not seem like it but i can go for long periods not doing any music. lyrics i never seem to have a problem with, but coming up with music i struggle, but every now and then a happy accident happens. i should really learn more chords, cos a new chord can give me 10 new songs lol.

but main inspiration is going out and living my life, reading , being interested in stuff, the more experiences that you have the more ideas for material. problem is not enough hours in the day, i need a pause button.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rata-tat-tat

I haven't really experienced a long block... but I know what your talking about... I usually just listen to others music for inspiration. Nothing really comes easy for me and recording is usually a long and daunting experience for me, but it is very rewarding. Good on you for holding on to that "recycle bin" of material. Hope your able to pick back up.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

T.C. Elliott

I've a question... how many songs have you been writing per year or month?

Personally, I think ideas for songwriting (or visits from the muse) is much like learning an instrument. When I was learning guitar I'd play guitar almost every day. It really wasn't practicing, but more just picking it up and trying to find things or play things or write things or play around or figure out a song. Whatever. And then after a month or two of feeling somewhat frustrated with no progress, I'd learn two or three new songs that I couldn't play the year before. Or I'd figure some new fingering out that made whatever it was I was playing sound smoother.

I think that our brains take time to assimilate what we are experiencing and then it kind of comes together when we stop worrying about it. Of course, this is from a guy who writes around 100 songs a year and that's with breaks.
 But we all hit writer's block or a feeling of being uninspired. There are lots of ways to attack it, but the best advice I've gotten is to just write. Don't worry if it's good or bad or appropriate or whatever. Even if it sounds like ass, write a song. You don't have to share it. Then when you're done if you are still feeling uninspired, write another song. Eventually you'll forget your muse went on vacation.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

my problem is i write too much and share practily everything lol you must all be sick to death of me haha
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on August 26, 2011, 05:08:37 PMI've a question... how many songs have you been writing per year or month?

But we all hit writer's block or a feeling of being uninspired. There are lots of ways to attack it, but the best advice I've gotten is to just write. Don't worry if it's good or bad or appropriate or whatever. Even if it sounds like ass, write a song. You don't have to share it. Then when you're done if you are still feeling uninspired, write another song. Eventually you'll forget your muse went on vacation.

I'm not a real prolific writer. I might write a complete song a month but I have a lot of ideas that consist of bits and pieces of music or lyric. So if I count those it's much more. I fully record and produce the ones I think are worthy enough that someone will listen to and enjoy them. I've got about 100 of those on cd.

Thanks for the insight and advice.........I'll keep at it and see what happens.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

thetworegs

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 26, 2011, 06:25:35 PMmy problem is i write too much and share practily everything lol you must all be sick to death of me haha
i have the same problem Jim the only difference being that most of mine are Shite and yours shine

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

FuzzFace

It's good to take a break.

My creative waves last about 2 weeks at a time.

When I am not in "output" mode, I read books or wikipedia or watch documentaries and do anything that will fill my head with highly interesting but mostly useless information.  Then I come out of it with a fresh perspective, and the new inspirations flow.

Everyone has their own recipe, but that rhythm works really well for me.

Oldrottenhead

funny yesterday i was struggling, got 3 tunes from an old buddy today and written recorded and mastered words and vox for the three of them this morning.

everyone a belter imho but my inner puppy is on the leash.

i think getting fresh stuff in my earholes juices my muse.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann