Using a Mic into Guitar input

Started by bobankr, December 22, 2008, 10:07:53 AM

bobankr

I tried using a Sennheiser dynamic mic by plugging it into an impedence transformer in the guitar input.  Why did I get a constant big echo that made it unuseable?

Also - (if you know that you'll probably know this too...)  I tried to mix two mics together on a my little Behringer 4 channel powered mixer.  How do I output that signal into the BR?  ( I guess l-R channels)
I tried using a 1/4 inch y-adapter into the guitar  input, but again a very big Echo.  Could it be the cable?  What am I missing (except a  basic understanding of signal flow?...)

64Guitars

I'm guessing that you haven't switched the insert effects off. Selecting the guitar input will also select the GTR effects bank by default (although, you can select a different bank if you want to). Many of the GTR bank patches have the delay effect switched on.

Why are you using the guitar input for a microphone? The Micro BR's external mic input would be a better choice. Be sure to turn off the PlugIn power when using your dynamic mic (see page 114 of the Micro BR manual). The external mic input also doubles as a stereo Line In, so you should be using that to connect your mixer. Although, if you only want to use two microphones, you can plug them both directly into the Micro BR's external mic input with a suitable adapter cable, as it's stereo. Be sure to select the correct input (LIN or EXT) and tracks for whatever you connect to the LINE IN/MIC jack (see page 41).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

hewhoiscalledj

Howdy,

I completely agree with 64g about NOT using the guitar input for the mic. And yes, the echo sound is likely the delay effect that is, by default, ON when using the guitar input. You'll want to make sure either way by pressing the effect button and either turning it off all together or adjusting to taste (EQ, Reverb, Delay, Effects, etc...)

Now, i'm not familiar with your Sennheiser mic, but if it's anything like a Sure 57 or 58, those things sound best with high gain settings around the order of (50-65dB) Because of this, i have had much better results plugging the dynamic mic into a preamp (the one on your mixer should work very well for this) I find that the MicroBR doesnt offer enough gain to properly push dynamic mics to their full potential. With that in mind, plug the mic into your mixer and then connect any of the mixer's OUTs into the LINE input of the MicroBR. Give it a shot and see how that compares.

FYI, if you use the RCA cable (stereo outs R/L) on the mixer, just use the RCA>1/8" adapter you mentioned and plug it into the MBR. Adjust the SENSITIVITY settings by pushing the INPUT button and then select LINE. Also adjust the INPUT level wheel.

Oh, and here's where I plug my fave website for learing about recording and gear: www.tweakheadz.com

Good luck and enjoy!

bobankr

Thanks to both of you for clearing this up for me. I'l go the routes you suggest....and YES www.tweakheadz.com
 is a fanatastic site for newbies.  I'm trying to keep it simple - not always easy at first. 

hewhoiscalledj

it was easy, it wouldnt be as rewarding right? ugh... i keep telling myself that but at the end of the day, learning the ins and outs of recording can be even more difficult than learning to play the guitar.

at least with a musical instrument, there's less troubleshooting and signal path routing... still, we trudge on determined and focussed on getting it done.

keep at it.

Glenn Mitchell

Maybe this has been covered but I'm still not sure.
I have an SM58 and an apex 460.
Both have the 3 pin type jacks rather than the 1/4" type.
The 58 has a separate, very old adapter that says it is a "line matching transformer" (model a95fp.) It takes the 3 pin to a standard 1/4" type. I also have a mono 1/4" to 1/8" adapter
The question.. Can I use this transformer for my jack adapter to get from the 3 pin to the 1/8" in on the Micro without damage or significant degradation?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

64Guitars

The Shure A95FP line-matching transformer is needed to match the low impedance of the SM58 mic (150 ohms) to the high-impedance external mic input of the Micro BR (18,000 ohms). So, yes, you can use it to connect your SM58 to the BR's external mic input. However, some people find that the BR's ext mic input isn't sensitive enough for the low output of a dynamic mic, so you might get better results with a separate mic preamp.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

hewhoiscalledj

I'd have to agree about using a seperate preamp to drive the gain on the SM58. I've found that the 58 likes a lot of gain (55dB+) to really get the juices cooking. I've gotten by with using my PA mixers preamp and it works fantastically; although, a decent and dedicated preamp is on my wish list.

With that in mind, what you suggested should still work but I would compare it with the results you get using the built-in condenser mic and go from there.

Glenn Mitchell

Thanks for the info and link.
I'm looking into the various models.
I see they might fix the low output and tinny sound of my acoustic that has an aftermarket bridge pickup.
It often doesn't come thru a PA very well at all.
I take it the Apex tube condenser mic doesn't need it as it has a separate preamp that came with.
It seems to work (lots of volume) tho I'm wondering if the above transformer (used as a jack conversion to the 1/8") isn't affecting it as the quality doesn't seem nearly as good as I expected.
Could that be the cause?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

hewhoiscalledj

Didnt realize that Apex was a tube mic. I've always wanted to get my hands on a mic like that. You mentioned that the Apex is going thru it's own preamp. Do you mean that it's battery powered (internal or thru a seperate battery box) or is it plugged into a preamp unit (with a gain dial.) If the latter, I would think that the preamp would have a 1/4" or 1/8" out and would definitely suggest using that instead of the adapter.

Of course, the fact that you are using the adapter/transformer suggests to me that you dont have that ability so maybe I'm missing something. I cant imagine that the results from the dynamic mic would be nearly as good and detailed as the tube mic. My only suggestion would be to use them both to record your acoustic. Not to mention blending in the bridge pickup along with the whole mix. This may take some creative signal routing and additional gear, but I thought I would put that out there for you to try.

And yeah, I've never gotten a very good sound from an acoustic guitar thru a PA either. The best results have come from mixing the pickup with a good mic placed about a foot away from where the neck of the guitar meets the soundhole (and possibly another mic postioned around the 7th(?) fret) The experimenting process never ends, eh?