ES-335 DOT (finally...)

Started by AndyR, July 28, 2011, 01:56:14 AM

AndyR

I've wanted a Gibson 335 for years (Alvin Lee was the first gig I ever went to). I used to have a Westone Rainbow, one of the very first ones into the UK in 82 or 83 before they had to change the bodyshape to make it less 335-like. But I sold it to raise cash years ago.

I've tried real Gibsons on and off, but never really liked the ones I'd tried. And seeing as they're a bit expensive, there was no way I was buying one in the hope of "growing to like it".

Anyway, found this cheap(er!) version on the interweb (DV247) last weekend. Got them to move the only one they had to my local branch so that I could try it. Tried it last night, took it home.

It's a 1959 ES-335 Dot Re-issue in Satin Translucent Black.

Boy-oh-boy-oh-boy ;D

I thought it was good in the shop, played nice, nice balance of woody warmth and aggressive bite. But when I got it out the case and plugged it into one of my own amps at home... I found it's even better than I realised!

I hadn't known that all Gibson semis were "Custom Shop" guitars - I even have certificate of authority for a handmade guitar! I still am a "buy the mass produced one off the shelf" kinda guy and always will be, but how can I spout about it when I own a guitar with a Custom Shop "certificate of authenticity"!!  ::) :D

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Saijinn Maas

Nice!

BTW... might be easier to link to it ;)

guitarron

gorgeous-i was perusing ebay last night for the very same guitar-i bought an Epi Sheriton last winter-haven't put it down since i got it. 

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

AndyR

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 28, 2011, 04:11:31 AMNice!

BTW... might be easier to link to it ;)

I didn't know you could do that! (I thought you had to be hosting the thing off elsewhere). Thanks for that.

I'm so not interested in photos and videos in general, so I'm not terribly well versed in the posting of them. :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Burtog

Quote from: AndyR on July 28, 2011, 01:56:14 AMI've wanted a Gibson 335 for years (Alvin Lee was the first gig I ever went to). I used to have a Westone Rainbow, one of the very first ones into the UK in 82 or 83 before they had to change the bodyshape to make it less 335-like. But I sold it to raise cash years ago.

I've tried real Gibsons on and off, but never really liked the ones I'd tried. And seeing as they're a bit expensive, there was no way I was buying one in the hope of "growing to like it".

Anyway, found this cheap(er!) version on the interweb (DV247) last weekend. Got them to move the only one they had to my local branch so that I could try it. Tried it last night, took it home.

It's a 1959 ES-335 Dot Re-issue in Satin Translucent Black.

Boy-oh-boy-oh-boy ;D

I thought it was good in the shop, played nice, nice balance of woody warmth and aggressive bite. But when I got it out the case and plugged it into one of my own amps at home... I found it's even better than I realised!

I hadn't known that all Gibson semis were "Custom Shop" guitars - I even have certificate of authority for a handmade guitar! I still am a "buy the mass produced one off the shelf" kinda guy and always will be, but how can I spout about it when I own a guitar with a Custom Shop "certificate of authenticity"!!  ::) :D

WOW...................I'm very jealous :-\, that looks like a fine guitar, I bet your credit card is aching!  ;D

Enjoy!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Kevin Mammoth

ooooh yes, I like the look of that one!!!  I'm very envious!...
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

Hi Andy, great looking instrument, it's one of those guitars I've always wanted but never owned so I'm very envious. Looking forward to hearing some great sounds from you.................Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

steelguitar

A beautyfull guitar!
I have an Epiphone Sheraton II ("by Gibson"), an other semi hollow body guitar (vintage sunburst), with a great sound...

Your guitar is a true Gibson (better than a Epiphone, owned by Gibson), have a superb modern look in black and have a classic jazz and rock tones.... the best!
Hope you will make some music on songcrafters with it!

Musically
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Tony W

It's a beauty Andy. An absolute beauty. I'm a picture guy, so I want to see more pics!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Quote from: Tony W on July 30, 2011, 01:48:11 PMIt's a beauty Andy. An absolute beauty. I'm a picture guy, so I want to see more pics!

Just seen your thread ES-336 thread - nice one.

I might try and do some more pics in a mo (Sunday morning, sun is out, almost perfect for pics out on the back deck).

I really have fallen in love with this guitar - I've only put it down to leave the building (go to work, buy some food, etc). I've put my customary 11s on it, refiled the nut slots and set her up for my playing.

She's a complete stunner. Rocks like a bastard and plays sweet mellow jazzy blues - all on the same amp setting with no pedals/switching!

She's completely stopped me playing my new bass from a month or two back (that one, a Gibson Faded SG bass, kinda stopped me playing guitar!)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1