Vox Satchurator: A Review

Started by Blooby, July 18, 2011, 06:33:55 PM

Blooby

Stumbled on a Vox Satchurator pedal with a power adapter for $40.00 today.  I was pretty stoked as these go for $130.00 new. I figure I would resell it.

There are 3 knobs for gain, tone, and volume along with two switches.  There's one marked "On" and another ominously labeled "More."  So I turn everything up, grab my Telecaster simply because it's close, and give it a whirl.  Needless to say, there is a lot of distortion...I mean a lot of distortion.  I plunk around for a few minutes, and it is then I decide to step on "More."

Without hesitation, my guitar starts howling with uncontrollable feedback, causing me to spasmodically jerk away from the speakers.  My ears are practically bleeding as I frantically attempt to turn "More" off in my dimly lit room.  I imagine I look like an inept clogger at that moment.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see my cat dashing out of the room, knowing he will shit somewhere prominently next time I leave my home. With superhuman effort, I yank the cord out of the pedal...  The silence is deafening.

Haven't seen my cat for a couple hours now.

True story.

Blooby

cuthbert

That's a nice looking chassis - aluminum? I like the fire engine red, too.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Burtog

I like the 'more' button, I guess it's like turning it up to 11 or from your story 111? :o
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

So you like it? Lol. It's hard to tell if it was an unpleasant experience or a revelation! I saw these getting some pretty good reviews in my guitar mag, but I guess it depends on whether you're trying to nail the Satriani tone.

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on July 19, 2011, 01:18:52 AMSo you like it? Lol.

I know it's not much of a review.  I wish I could properly convey the bedlam that took place when I stepped on that button.

To be fair to the pedal, when the gain knob is at around 11:00, some extremely nice, creamy blues tones can be coaxed from this pedal. It's not billed as an overdrive, but I get the feeling it would push the front end of a tube amp nicely.

Having said that, I think I'm reselling it.  The damn thing scares me. 

Blooby

Speed Demon

Blooby, try this:
Get a second Satchurator and hook them up in series. Send the output of the first one into the input
of the second one. Then send that signal into a 1000 watt stereo amp, driving four 4X12 cabinets.

How's that for sick?

You will probably have a nuclear strike capability. And a neighborhood in flames.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Blooby

Quote from: Speed Demon on July 19, 2011, 04:58:54 AMBlooby, try this:
Get a second Satchurator and hook them up in series. Send the output of the first one into the input
of the second one. Then send that signal into a 1000 watt stereo amp, driving four 4X12 cabinets.

How's that for sick?

You will probably have a nuclear strike capability. And a neighborhood in flames.

If only my last God-fearing neighbor didn't move away, the one who told me I went a foot over the property line when I was cutting my grass.

Speed Demon

Blooby, your ex-neighbor sounds like a total anal retentive personality.
Probably is good friends with the lice on his pubic hairs. Good riddance.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Bluesberry

Wow, what a cool pedal.  I think it sounds fantastic in this vid here really makes that guitar sing through that Vox amp.  Don't give up the pedal yet man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YAc9lz3Uko

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

I'd keep it, for $40 you have something to keep the burglars out of your house, dogs off your lawn, neighbours at bay and a cool cool screamer of an effect.

Or post it to me.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.