Help with computer issue

Started by Blooby, July 14, 2011, 05:24:08 PM

Blooby

i have a monitor that is a year or two old.  Lately, it is intermittently switching arbitrarily between being normal and then to an off-white, sort-of hazy appearance.  Everything is still clear, but it is gets annoying.

Monitor, cable, computer?

Any ideas before I start swapping out monitors to check?

Blooby

cuthbert

How comfortable are you opening your computer up?

If you're okay with that, I'd start by shutting everything down, disconnect the monitor, and then open the case, loosen the video card if it's screwed down, and then take it out and reseat it in its slot. Once that's done, tighten it up again, and then do the same if there any internal cables coming out of the card (usually just a power cable). Do the same if your video comes off the motherboard and not an external video card.

Once everything is positively reseated, plug the monitor back into the card port and boot up your computer - see if that fixes it.

If the problem persists, do you have another computer? Test the monitor on that one - if it shows the same problem, it's definitely your monitor. If it does not, it's your video card.

Btw, if your video card is built into the motherboard and you've determined it's not a monitor problem, consider getting an external video card if your computer has an available port. If it turns out to be the motherboard video, then a new video card is a cheaper fix (than a new motherboard).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

Thanks, C.  I will give it a whirl. Oddly, the issue stopped for the time being, but next time it happens, I will open her up.

I raise a glass to you (or at least a cup).

Thanks.

Blooby

SdC

In my experience (I'm sysadmin) 99% of the time it's due to the connector not being properly attached to the PC. It has to be tight.
Does the image change when you wiggle the connector?

recorder
Boss BR-600

Blooby

Quote from: SdC on July 15, 2011, 01:45:15 AMIn my experience (I'm sysadmin) 99% of the time it's due to the connector not being properly attached to the PC. It has to be tight.
Does the image change when you wiggle the connector?

That's what i initially thought as I dragged my monitor to a different position on my desk, and that's when things started to go awry.  I have mucked with the cable a bit.  Admittedly, I have yet to swap this one out completely as I just don'y have another lying around.  Whe it starts happneing again (and it will), I'll hit up the neighbor for his cable for a spell.

Thanks.

Bloob