GREAT ONE HIT WONDERS!

Started by Burtog, July 12, 2011, 11:15:22 PM

Oldrottenhead

i cried when pass the dutchie went to number 1 in the uk along with uncle john peel, i'm sure i wasn't the only one. you cant believe how exciting it was to see that song and band reach no1. especially if you where a john peel listener.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Burtog

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 13, 2011, 01:47:00 PMi cried when pass the dutchie went to number 1 in the uk along with uncle john peel, i'm sure i wasn't the only one. you cant believe how exciting it was to see that song and band reach no1. especially if you where a john peel listener.
Cool. I didn't realise Peel was pushing this band. Reminds me of being a kid, great stuff!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

QuoteCool. I didn't realise Peel was pushing this band. Reminds me of being a kid, great stuff!
it was his record of the week for about a month if i recall, as per usual he was the first to air them, and he cried too when the hit no1, funny the things that get you emotional lol. bloody music ya gotta love it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Gritter on July 13, 2011, 01:12:25 PMRough Trade - "Highschool Confidential"

Rough Trade had several hits in Canada. They may have been a one-hit wonder in the USA, but their US hit wasn't "Highschool Confidential", it was "All Touch" which reached #58 on the Billboard Hot 100. In Canada, "All Touch" reached #12 on the RPM 100 (as did Highschool Confidential).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOZYM8kw6I

Other hits in Canada include "Crimes of Passion" (#18 on RPM) and "Fashion Victim" (#25 on RPM). I seem to recall that "Birds of a Feather" was fairly successful too, though I can't find any chart data for it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gritter

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 02:03:03 PM
Quote from: Gritter on July 13, 2011, 01:12:25 PMRough Trade - "Highschool Confidential"

Rough Trade had several hits in Canada. They may have been a one-hit wonder in the USA, but their US hit wasn't "Highschool Confidential", it was "All Touch" which reached #58 on the Billboard Hot 100. In Canada, "All Touch" reached #12 on the RPM 100 (as did Highschool Confidential).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOZYM8kw6I

Other hits in Canada include "Crimes of Passion" (#18 on RPM) and "Fashion Victim" (#25 on RPM). I seem to recall that "Birds of a Feather" was fairly successful too, though I can't find any chart data for it.

Duly noted 64G. But I'm from Canada and High School Confidential is their only song that I remember and it's the song they are known for.

Gritter

One and a half hit wonders?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-auRE6zV5E

=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j6Tln0lN0c

okay, maybe these don't belong here but damn they're good tunes and vids...love hearing this stuff again.

Kevin Mammoth

recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

64Guitars

Quote from: Gritter on July 13, 2011, 02:12:40 PMDuly noted 64G. But I'm from Canada and High School Confidential is their only song that I remember and it's the song they are known for.

I guess their other hits didn't do as well on the west coast as they did in Ontario. Not surprising since the band is from Toronto. Here's how their singles did on the Toronto CHUM Chart:

Jan 1981 "What's The Furor About The Fuhrer?" backed with "Fashion Victim" which was the bigger hit (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #10).
May 1981 "Highschool Confidential" (9 weeks in the chart, peaking at #8).
Dec 1981 "All Touch" (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #11).
Feb 1983 "Crimes of Passion" (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #11).

Canada-wide, you're probably right that they're best known for "Highschool Confidential". But I don't think it charted outside of Canada, whereas "All Touch" did (though it wasn't hugely successful).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gritter

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: Gritter on July 13, 2011, 02:12:40 PMDuly noted 64G. But I'm from Canada and High School Confidential is their only song that I remember and it's the song they are known for.

I guess their other hits didn't do as well on the west coast as they did in Ontario. Not surprising since the band is from Toronto. Here's how their singles did on the Toronto CHUM Chart:

Jan 1981 "What's The Furor About The Fuhrer?" backed with "Fashion Victim" which was the bigger hit (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #10).
May 1981 "Highschool Confidential" (9 weeks in the chart, peaking at #8).
Dec 1981 "All Touch" (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #11).
Feb 1983 "Crimes of Passion" (10 weeks in the chart, peaking at #11).

Canada-wide, you're probably right that they're best known for "Highschool Confidential". But I don't think it charted outside of Canada, whereas "All Touch" did (though it wasn't hugely successful).

Weird, I grew up in Montreal, moved west in 84. I never was a fan of Rough Trade but Carole Pope was a prominent figure in Canadian music, often accepting Juno awards for Anne Murray.