when you know your song is good?

Started by kc2ine, July 07, 2011, 04:59:33 PM

suburban behemoth

Quote from: bruno on September 22, 2012, 12:59:09 AMI'm a great believer in pleasing yourself first, and if anyone else likes its, then its a bonus.  How do I know if a song is good? Well, if I think its good and I enjoying listening to it many times, and it make me smile and I'm proud of it - then that's a good song for me.

Sometime's you post something that you think is good, and get no reaction, zilcho. That doesn't mean it not a good song, just means your tastes don't align or people haven't given it a chance. Sometime great songs require many listens for you to realise that yo like them - sometime a song doesn't grab you immediately, On this site, with so many to listen it real hard to do that.

You can write to people's tastes, to produce instantly like-able songs - but I love the creative process, trying to produce something different or unique (now that is difficult).

So - to answer the question - how do YOU know that your song is good. The one phrase that spring to mind, was the singer in my old band - who said a good song is one that 'moved' people - not necessarily made them cry (which is included), but made them laugh, cry, be happy, be angry etc - and that is the best definition of a good song in my mind. If you think its good, then some else will also thinks it's good also - that may be one or many.

Will it be 'successful', now that is a different question :-)

B.

Yes... what he said.
recorder
Boss BR-864

Hilary

Quote from: suburban behemoth on September 23, 2012, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: bruno on September 22, 2012, 12:59:09 AMI'm a great believer in pleasing yourself first, and if anyone else likes its, then its a bonus.  How do I know if a song is good? Well, if I think its good and I enjoying listening to it many times, and it make me smile and I'm proud of it - then that's a good song for me.

Sometime's you post something that you think is good, and get no reaction, zilcho. That doesn't mean it not a good song, just means your tastes don't align or people haven't given it a chance. Sometime great songs require many listens for you to realise that yo like them - sometime a song doesn't grab you immediately, On this site, with so many to listen it real hard to do that.

You can write to people's tastes, to produce instantly like-able songs - but I love the creative process, trying to produce something different or unique (now that is difficult).

So - to answer the question - how do YOU know that your song is good. The one phrase that spring to mind, was the singer in my old band - who said a good song is one that 'moved' people - not necessarily made them cry (which is included), but made them laugh, cry, be happy, be angry etc - and that is the best definition of a good song in my mind. If you think its good, then some else will also thinks it's good also - that may be one or many.

Will it be 'successful', now that is a different question :-)

B.

Yes... what he said.

Yeah . . . what he said. (my holiday song Sex on the Beach actually made my friends pee their pants laughing and they are younger than me - sorry was that too much information!)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Speed Demon

How do I know when a song is good?

People listen to it instead of putting my picture on a dartboard and aiming for the eyes.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Mike Huntingford

It sucks b*lls when your wife doesn't like you music - as isn't her style of music... yet other do like your music.  Especially troubling when you want to increase your studio footprint too! LOL
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

Oldrottenhead

I often plug my phone into the car stereo and have it on random play. If one of my songs comes on, it is a boost to my ego. When my wife asks "who is that?" When I reply " oh that's one of mine" she always says " put something decent on" and she is not referring to my apparel.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: MikeHuntingford on October 22, 2016, 09:05:44 AMEspecially troubling when you want to increase your studio footprint!

Sex, sex, sex... Is that all you people ever talk about?