Is it possible, that I'm playing too much?

Started by Nelson, July 04, 2011, 10:56:46 PM

Tony W

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 05, 2011, 06:54:19 AMget to a doctor, it could be a number of things causing it. i have a trapped nerve in my neck which causes a lot of  numbness and general annoyance in my left arm. pretty much like the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but affects my entire arm.

Agree with Jim, go see a doctor. I wasn't going to mention it, but I started working out a couple months ago. Long story short, I tried to keep up with the 25 year old version of myself, and damaged the pectoral muscle on my right side. Of course it's right at a cluster of nerves, and causes my arm to go numb, then pain sets in to the hand. The moral of the story, the pain may be in the hands, but that may not be the source of the problem.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteAre you sure that isn't just Mrs ORH repeatedly punching you?
she loves me dearly, but it is probably a cumulation of frying pan injuries similar to the one's bb may suffer.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 05, 2011, 07:14:38 AM
QuoteAre you sure that isn't just Mrs ORH repeatedly punching you?
she loves me dearly, but it is probably a cumulation of frying pan injuries similar to the one's bb may suffer.

I am marveling at the "armrests" on that couch (from the Lewis Carroll collection). It is Flash Harry's brand new toothbrush.

Nelson, I truly hope this is a fleeting thing.

Blooby

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Farmjazz

This is a situation that I deal with frequently with myself, and my students. As we progress in our musicianship, our muscular condition changes. No big mystery there. As our hands and forearms develop, they do go through a period of pain, discomfort, cramping, etc. I would suggest that you keep playing as much as you comfortably can and come through the other side stronger, and better equipped to play. I've seen the pain leave several times in myself and in my students that practice the way they should.

I'm not discounting the possibility of some medical condition, but it sounds like good old-fashioned musician growing pains to me. A good thing, really.

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: Geir on July 05, 2011, 08:42:55 AMI think the couch is normal size ::)

lol
i'd like to thank all the little people

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

8 hours a day, 5 on weekends, is considered a lot by any standards.

Definitely sounds like an injury due to over playing, either RSI or CTS. It is worth noting that unless you have an existing case of arthritis, the main cause of both of these are due to tendon strain. I have been to the doctor twice due to this. After following some adice I read, I rarely have a problem.

Steve Vai used to practice 10 hours a day.  He had an article that used to be on his old site many years ago, talking about the importance of avoiding injury from over practicing. I got most of this from back then. It has helped me tremendously. I only occasionally get any tingling if on those times I skip warm ups and end up playing longer than I anticipated. :/

Pre-Practice
1. Stretch hands and wrists
2. Warm up with basic scales that emphasis simple stretching your fingers.

EXERCISE 1

E|---------------------------1-2-3-----4-3-2-------------------------------------------
B|----------------------1-2-3------------------4-3-2-----------------------------------
G|-----------------1-2-3-------------------------------4-3-2--------------------------
D|------------1-2-3--------------------------------------------4-3-2-------------------
A|-------1-2-3---------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-----------
E|--1-2-3----------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2---

- Play up to the 12th fret then back down using alternate picking (up and down motion)
- Use only fingers 1, 2, and 3
- 123 321 123 321 etc.......

EXERCISE 2

- Begin using your 4th (pinky) finger for all the following exercises.

E|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------------
G|------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------------------------
D|----------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------------------------
A|--------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------
E|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1------

EXERCISE 3

E|----------------------1-3--4-2----------------------
B|------------------1-3----------4-2------------------
G|--------------1-3------------------4-2--------------
D|----------1-3---------------------------4-2---------
A|------1-3-----------------------------------4-2-----
E|--1-3-------------------------------------------4-2-

EXERCISE 4

E|------------------------------------------1-3-2-4---4-2-3-1-------------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------1-3-2-4--------------------4-2-3-1----------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------1-3-2-4-------------------------------------4-2-3-1-------------------------------------
D|------------------1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1----------------------------
A|----------1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1------------------
E|--1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1--------

EXERCISE 5

E|-------------2--3--------------
B|----------3--------4-----------
G|-------2--------------3--------
D|----4--------------------5-----
A|-5-----------------------------
E|-------------------------------

(These are not intended to be musical, so they will not sound like typical scales.)

During Practice
1. Pay attention to how you fret. Some people play with the neck being too low, sort of parallel to the floor. This can cause some people to have to stretch their hands to reach the upper strings. This is commonly missed if you have been doing it this way from the beginning. Everything already is uncomfortable, so the discomfort is considered normal.

I no longer rest the guitar body on my right leg, which is common. Even when I am sitting I use a guitar strap and I make sure the guitar is in a more classical style angle but without resting on the left leg. This puts considerably less strain on my fretting hand and has the added benefit of being used to how the guitar feels while standing and playing.

2. Picking hand is usually more prone to "tennis elbow". But if you are feeling it in your picking hand also, which I have only heard of once, then it might be from having a death grip on the pick or way too much tension in your hand while you pick.

Post Practice
1. Stretch and message hands and wrists and the forearms.
2. Soak in hands in ice water. (Similar method of being submerged in an ice bath when I used to play football. It promotes the discharge of the lactic acid that causes muscle soreness and reduces swelling of the overworked tendons.)  I only do this when I know I've really worked my hands. Or I pop in a movie and sit with an ice pack on the back on my hands.

If it is really painful now, I would stay away from playing anything. It will only get worse. If the pain does not start to subside you should go see a doctor immediately, at least to make sure you haven't already done any real damage.

Hope you get better ;)

Flash Harry

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 05, 2011, 12:12:23 PM8 hours a day, 5 on weekends, is considered a lot by any standards.

Definitely sounds like an injury due to over playing, either RSI or CTS. It is worth noting that unless you have an existing case of arthritis, the main cause of both of these are due to tendon strain. I have been to the doctor twice due to this. After following some adice I read, I rarely have a problem.

Steve Vai used to practice 10 hours a day.  He had an article that used to be on his old site many years ago, talking about the importance of avoiding injury from over practicing. I got most of this from back then. It has helped me tremendously. I only occasionally get any tingling if on those times I skip warm ups and end up playing longer than I anticipated. :/

Pre-Practice
1. Stretch hands and wrists
2. Warm up with basic scales that emphasis simple stretching your fingers.

EXERCISE 1

E|---------------------------1-2-3-----4-3-2-------------------------------------------
B|----------------------1-2-3------------------4-3-2-----------------------------------
G|-----------------1-2-3-------------------------------4-3-2--------------------------
D|------------1-2-3--------------------------------------------4-3-2-------------------
A|-------1-2-3---------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-----------
E|--1-2-3----------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2---

- Play up to the 12th fret then back down using alternate picking (up and down motion)
- Use only fingers 1, 2, and 3
- 123 321 123 321 etc.......

EXERCISE 2

- Begin using your 4th (pinky) finger for all the following exercises.

E|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------------
G|------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------------------------
D|----------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------------------------
A|--------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------
E|-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1------

EXERCISE 3

E|----------------------1-3--4-2----------------------
B|------------------1-3----------4-2------------------
G|--------------1-3------------------4-2--------------
D|----------1-3---------------------------4-2---------
A|------1-3-----------------------------------4-2-----
E|--1-3-------------------------------------------4-2-

EXERCISE 4

E|------------------------------------------1-3-2-4---4-2-3-1-------------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------1-3-2-4--------------------4-2-3-1----------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------1-3-2-4-------------------------------------4-2-3-1-------------------------------------
D|------------------1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1----------------------------
A|----------1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1------------------
E|--1-3-2-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-2-3-1--------

EXERCISE 5

E|-------------2--3--------------
B|----------3--------4-----------
G|-------2--------------3--------
D|----4--------------------5-----
A|-5-----------------------------
E|-------------------------------

(These are not intended to be musical, so they will not sound like typical scales.)

During Practice
1. Pay attention to how you fret. Some people play with the neck being too low, sort of parallel to the floor. This can cause some people to have to stretch their hands to reach the upper strings. This is commonly missed if you have been doing it this way from the beginning. Everything already is uncomfortable, so the discomfort is considered normal.

I no longer rest the guitar body on my right leg, which is common. Even when I am sitting I use a guitar strap and I make sure the guitar is in a more classical style angle but without resting on the left leg. This puts considerably less strain on my fretting hand and has the added benefit of being used to how the guitar feels while standing and playing.

2. Picking hand is usually more prone to "tennis elbow". But if you are feeling it in your picking hand also, which I have only heard of once, then it might be from having a death grip on the pick or way too much tension in your hand while you pick.

Post Practice
1. Stretch and message hands and wrists and the forearms.
2. Soak in hands in ice water. (Similar method of being submerged in an ice bath when I used to play football. It promotes the discharge of the lactic acid that causes muscle soreness and reduces swelling of the overworked tendons.)  I only do this when I know I've really worked my hands. Or I pop in a movie and sit with an ice pack on the back on my hands.

If it is really painful now, I would stay away from playing anything. It will only get worse. If the pain does not start to subside you should go see a doctor immediately, at least to make sure you haven't already done any real damage.

Hope you get better ;)

Fine advice Sai.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

I agree with some of the others - Go see a doctor. It can't hurt, and might be something that can be remedied.

You make great tunes, bro - Keep those digits healthy!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover