Is it possible, that I'm playing too much?

Started by Nelson, July 04, 2011, 10:56:46 PM

Nelson

Hey guys I've been in the process of  studying, composing and practicing, for the last couple of months.
I was playing about 8 hours a day on the weekend and about 5 a day doing the week.
One problem, I having pain in my hand, that makes it impossible to play the guitar and Can only stand a few minutes on the key board. It painful to open doors and just about anything that usually uses your fingers.
I gave it a few days and try to fret the guitar... no way.

Anyone been through this before.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Luckily This happened just as I was finishing the rough arrangements of the last couple of songs, so I can take a break from playing. I have to do some trucking this week and I'm leaving the guitar home.

Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Burtog

large dose COD LIVER OIL capsules, daily..............................seriously!

There's a lot of joints in a hand, this stuff is like lubricant for joints.

I've also heard mineral oil to rub on hand, WD40, that's not a joke either.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

Sorry to hear this, Nelson. I'm suffering with something similar on my fretting hand. I've had a slight pain for a while now, but just recently, it's really starting to hurt - even when I'm not playing guitar. In fact, it's hurting right now. I'm starting to worry that I have rheumatism in my little finger joint & knuckle - a symptom of age I guess. It's not so bad that I can't play (yet), but I'm starting to feel a bit down about it all.

Good luck with it, and I hope you find the answer. Maybe a break is what's required - but hurry back... we need your songs!

chapperz66

As Burtog says, a lot of people swear by cod liver oil tablets - particularly if thet have added glucosamine.  I get the little finger pain problem and have done for years, and now in both hands.  I tried the C.L.O and glucosamine but had to stop as it triggered crippling gout attacks.  But this is only if you are susceptible to gout, so it may be worth a try.

Might be worth getting to see a doctor.

Good luck

Paul

OsCKilO

Sounds like a repetitive strain injury.

You should try something with a bigger/thicker fret board.
That’s why I play the Classical.  When I play a normal acoustic, I get cramp pretty bad after a while.
The Classical seems to fit Just right!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

It could be other things that you're doing too much of....

I'm thinking of using that keyboard.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

IanR

Try some rest. Do some hand flexing and stretching. 

Take a rest every 30-40 minutes to do something else with your hands during those long sessions.  Fling them around and change their position.

I'm obviously not sure if you are But when you get back to it try not to squeeze the neck too much.  If you are getting the callouses on the end of you fingers, you are probably squeezing too hard.  You will find that your tone gets a bit sweeter and mellower if you don't squeeze the crap out of the neck - save that for when you want to sound aggressive.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Oldrottenhead

get to a doctor, it could be a number of things causing it. i have a trapped nerve in my neck which causes a lot of  numbness and general annoyance in my left arm. pretty much like the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but affects my entire arm.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 05, 2011, 06:54:19 AMget to a doctor, it could be a number of things causing it. i have a trapped nerve in my neck which causes a lot of  numbness and general annoyance in my left arm. pretty much like the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome but affects my entire arm.

Are you sure that isn't just Mrs ORH repeatedly punching you?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.