Opinions on the unwashed masses?

Started by Blooby, July 04, 2011, 02:46:17 PM

Bluesberry

My favorite jam band is .....................Cream.  One of the original jam bands as far as I can see, they were at the very beginning of the whole jam band scene, playing louder and longer than any band had done, well practically speaking.  There were other bands that jammed long at the time, but they took it to new heights and were hugely popular in their short time for their extended jams.  To this day I love to sit in a dark room with some of that live Cream blasting out of my speakers.

QuoteThough they were together scarcely more than two years, Cream left us with a legacy that is impossible to forget. They were the first true 'rock 'n roll supergroup.' The combination of the massive bass sound and bluesy vocals of Jack Bruce, the powerful drumming of Ginger Backer, and a young, brash Eric Clapton on guitar would create a musical ensemble few have challenged, let alone surpassed. Though their studio work was strong, it was in a live setting that Cream really took off. Though rarely thought of as a jam band, Cream's jams remain as some of the greatest ever recorded (just listen to their infamous rendition of Willie Dixie's Spoonful on the live disk of Wheels of Fire and you'll agree.)

QuoteIt was almost as if Cream existed with two distinct identities, one a pithy singles act, and the other a self-indulgent jam band.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I really liked Cream, but they sounded like they were fighting each other on stage much of the time when they extended their tunes.

By the way, I would never seriously call myself a Deadhead or Phishhead.  I have seen and enjoyed both bands but want to make it clear that I think a lot of crappy music also came out both camps.

Just found an interesting interview with Trey Anastasio that sums up some of my feelings on improvisation. The link is here.

Blooby

Farmjazz

Well, first of all, I happen to like the smell of patchouli oil. It reminds me of ... well ... never mind what it reminds me of.

Jam bands. What a concept. I never cared much for the endless use of two or three imbecilic chords, but I have seen it evoke a trance-like effect on crowds of red-eyed people before. Maybe that is some sort of prerequisite. They also seem to be really good musicians, as they can play for, like, seven hours without even tuning up.

Seriously though, I've fallen under the spell of the Allman Brothers band back when Duane was alive and don't regret it one bit. Those solos were a real journey for me. Never cared much for the Grateful Dead, or Phish, but I do respect the jam band approach the String Cheese Incident used. Depends on who is "jam banding" I guess. There are even times when gypsy guitar genius Bireli Lagrene seems to be taking the jam band approach - soloing endlessly over a ii-V-I progression - never repeating himself and building his solo into a feverish frenzy of flourishing finger work.   

Flash Harry

Quote from: Blooby on July 05, 2011, 07:21:48 AMCycling, eh? Following the Tour at all?

Avidly.

these guys were doing 80kph today down country lanes on pushbikes. Amazing!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

I've enjoyed many stoned hours (not recently, mind...) listening to The Dead's 'Anthem of the Sun'. It has a very meandering kind of psychedelia that appeals to me. Would I want to see a band 'go off on one' for an extended jam session in a live setting though? Not sure. Part of me (the crafted, songwriting part) thinks it's very self indulgent and a little aimless. However, another part would say that it depends on the quality of the musicians involved, and what kind of stuff they're playing. I'd happily watch a group of flamenco players for hours on end. But an extended 'jazz odyssey'? Probably not. And I certainly wouldn't want to do it myself. I'd prefer nicely packaged, concise, and thought-out songs to be my personal calling card.

Bluesberry

Is this the original jam band music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXXBfL5lRqE

QuoteHindustani music is an Indian classical music tradition that goes back to Vedic times around 1000 BC

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I have a boxed set and a fair amount of albums from that wacky hippie (Ravi).

Bluesberry

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Was that a young Dennis Quaid?

I'll be damned it sure was.

Shelly Long, Ringo Starr the list goes on!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR