Opinions on the unwashed masses?

Started by Blooby, July 04, 2011, 02:46:17 PM

Blooby

Now that I have piqued your interest, I'm curious what you folks think of jambands. To chime in, you should have at least given them an aural shot instead of seeing tie-dye and fleeing into the night. Maybe the 11-29-1997, hour-long "Runaway Jim" by Phish should be required listening before posting. No, I couldn't do that to you; it was just a thought.

The scene has changed quite a bit in the last few years, so I figure we should probably relegate this discussion (if any) to The Grateful Dead and Phish.

Can't wait to see what responses turn up in a "Songcrafters" forum. I can smell the stench of patchouli now.

Chip Withrow, are you out there? Help me, brother.

Blooby

64Guitars

I love jambands when I'm in them. Not so much when I'm an outsider listening. But I have great respect for the musicians involved and the way they feed off each other to create some magical musical moments.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

I'm with 64G here .... I have listened to my share of GD jams and some Phish as well, but mostly as background music when doing some home-improvement project or fixing an old car.  It can be an inspiration, but I'm more into more compact musical expressions now. a 2 minute song is better left that way if all is said.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Gritter

Never got into Phish, although a friend tried turning me on to them back in the 90's. It seems they spent a lot of time constructing their parts musically and then spent about 30 seconds writing the lyrics.

guitarron

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 04, 2011, 02:58:48 PMI love jambands when I'm in them.
So true-

Trey Anastasio-is a fantastic guitarist- i have a jam band station on my xm radio-pretty cool stuff

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Vanncad

My own personal .02

I'm not a fan.

It's too much like jazz to me.
Sounds great for about 3 minutes, and then I lose interest.

Quotea 2 minute song is better left that way if all is said
- I agree with Geir on this one
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Blooby

Quote from: Vanncad on July 04, 2011, 06:49:27 PMI'm not a fan.

Wow. You've just put an arrow through my heart.

Flash Harry

Quote from: Blooby on July 04, 2011, 06:52:21 PM

But he's not a fan.

I'm not familiar with the term. Any Youtube examples? Are they smelly people? I might fit right in after my morning cycle ride.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 05, 2011, 07:11:39 AM
Quote from: Blooby on July 04, 2011, 06:52:21 PM

But he's not a fan.

I'm not familiar with the term. Any Youtube examples? Are they smelly people? I might fit right in after my morning cycle ride.....

It was more a statement about not liking jazz. Maybe the "arrow through my heart" was a pinch melodramatic, but I stand by my "wow."

Cycling, eh? Following the Tour at all?

As for pictures, I Googled "Festival Feet" and "filthy hippie" respectively.