vocal tips? Got this "Sssss" problem......

Started by hardlock, July 01, 2011, 05:43:20 PM

hardlock

Any you fine singers out there have any help with this?  I just started to attempt to sing not that long ago and then after getting my teeth fixed, found I'd developed a nasty "S" whistle that I don't know how to deal with.  Tried EQ, compression, even singing with a sucker in my mouth with no real effect.... ::)

Any ideas?  I'm using a Boss MBR for recording.

Thanks in advance!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Oldrottenhead

you can get de-esser software, but what are you singing into is it an external mic or the onboard mic on the mbr,

on the mbr if i am not holding it at the right angle, i get SS's and K's and P's causing problems. i think if you are using an external mic you can get a  shield thingy that prevents that sort of thing.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

you need a compressor.  check out the alesis 3630. It does the job.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

Before you shell out, it might be worthwhile to muck about with mic placement if you haven't done so already.

Blooby

hardlock

Hi guys, thanks for jumping in.  Yes, using the MBR built-in mic and at almost a 90 degree angle.  Tried other cheapo condenser mics but same deal. 

This S problem is physical, not just a recording issue.  Wife laughs just from me talking to her.  Says I sound like the old pervert on "Family Guy".  :D

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

AndyR

Aah... until I read your last post, I was about to say "have the mic to one side or other - most of us have more sibilants coming out of one side of our mouths"

... but I don't think it will help :(

It might reduce it, and using a compressor as a de-esser might help as well. But if it's noticable in your everyday speech, sounds like you might need to "fix it" at source. This might be having the teeth looked at again, or it might be learning to talk differently.

I managed to do the latter in my 20s/30s. I'd always had an odd sound to "ch", "sh", and "dg". Apparently my mum had tried getting me to fix it when I was little (I don't remember). I didn't really care until I started hearing it on recordings. It took me a while, but I figured out I was pronouncing them with the side of my tongue because it hadn't really worked at the front after I got my adult teeth (I have odd teeth!). I spent about a month figuring out how to do it "properly" with my teeth as they were, and eventually I cracked it.

The problem will be tracking down what's causing it. After that, figuring out how to change what you do to stop it might not be so hard. The practice to actually change it might take a while...

(Incidentally, writing this out, made me remember it all - and now I can't say "change" properly :D)

Having an easy recording device - like the MBR - might help the whole process. I did it with a recording walkman-type cassette player. I'm guessing a speech therapist might speed things up - but I was too much of a tight-wad to look at that option...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

pop screens during tracking -otherwise a compressor will do the trick-

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Groundy

I put a sock over the mic of the MBR, it works the same as cover that you put on an ordinary Mic, But make sure its a clean one ..lol....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

jimsz

Quote from: hardlock on July 01, 2011, 05:43:20 PMAny you fine singers out there have any help with this?  I just started to attempt to sing not that long ago and then after getting my teeth fixed, found I'd developed a nasty "S" whistle that I don't know how to deal with. 

Your dentist should be able to fix that if he's the one who created it. He shouldn't charge you for fixing it either and you'll never have to deal with it again. Might be better than shelling out cash for equipment. :)
Just this guy, ya' know.

BR-900CD