Prog vs Punk and the history of Business Intelligence, or music and my day job

Started by Ferryman, July 01, 2011, 01:27:32 PM

Ferryman

This one is for the geeks out there.

The threads on prog and punk (especially the "when did the capes come in" question) prompted me to post this. I have hesitated because a) the sound is pretty bad, b) you really needed to be there and c) it only makes sense if you are an IT geek, but it's a bit of fun and one of the few bits of live music that I do. I work for a very serious IT company, we advise our clients on how to get the best value out of their IT investments. Part of what we do is to put on big, serious IT conferences all around the world. One of my colleagues is a great musician and he and I like to do musical "skits" to open some of our conferences, a bit of fun to gety the audience warmed up. We started doing a Kraftwerk skit, we have done varianmts on the Monkees and the Beatles. This year, we did an epic.

The conference is all about Business Intelligence (IT non-geeks should probably head elsewhere right now), so this year we decided to do the history of BI as told by changing musical styles since the 1970s. And you can see it has a whole prog vs punk theme. Hope it makes sense and hope it makes you crack a wry smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiNASO0vZdk

I have to say it's great fun being able to work a bit of music into the day job!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

Hey Nigel,

I think this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it.

When I train SharePoint users, I use the collaboration analogy of creating music with people from this site.
I think there are a lot of parallels between music and IT.

You guys did a cool job there!
(And you know I'm a sucker for good parody  ;))

Bravo!!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

damn thats fun to watch Nigel, you even got your kaossilator in on the act, must be your Koas Pro, looks too big to be the original Kaossilator.  Wonderful job.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

Now I have always seen my kaossilator as a slice though a data cube, you select the layer you want and fiddle with the data, so the kaoss as a pivot table....   Kool as the Gang
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Thanks for the comments all, we have a blast doing this kind of stuff. Lots of frustrated musos where I work, there seem to be quite a lot in IT. Dave, it is the K Pro, it's also doing the vocoder stuff on my voice at the end.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 01, 2011, 02:24:03 PMmagic lmao.
whats BI again?
Jim, you really don't want to know. This is one area where "blissful ignorance" is a good thing!

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 01, 2011, 03:36:58 PMNow I have always seen my kaossilator as a slice though a data cube, you select the layer you want and fiddle with the data, so the kaoss as a pivot table....   Kool as the Gang
Indeed, it could almost be used as a direct interface into Essbase, TM1 or MSAS. Now that WOULD be cool!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

I've been enough into both IT and prog, and been a victim ;) of enough business management methods, to appreciate this fine performance Nigel ;D ;D ;D !!

Thanks for posting this, great to see you perform. You look very confident on stage.

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 01, 2011, 03:36:58 PMNow I have always seen my kaossilator as a slice though a data cube, you select the layer you want and fiddle with the data, so the kaoss as a pivot table....   Kool as the Gang
Now I finally got an excuse to get a purchase order to buy a Kaoss pro ;D

can you also make the Kaoss pro play the result of a pivot table report?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........