Join me in christening new guitar Estella

Started by FuzzFace, July 01, 2011, 12:18:20 PM

FuzzFace

A while back, I posted the "Prescribe me a guitar" thread.
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=10017.0

You offered a lot of suggestions.

I tried every guitar that was recommended.

The best suggestion, though, was to just keep trying guitars until I find "the one" for me.

This is what I did.

It's easy for me to be seduced by looks.

But I tried guitars and blindly as I could, focussing on feeling and sound.  The result was surprising:  An overachiever who performs where it counts, with an understated, regal beauty.

Allow me to introduce, Estella (accompanied by Biddy in the background):

This is the one for me, guys.

You will probably laugh.

But I don't need anything else.

Burtog

Cool. Didn't even realise Taylor made electric guitars! 8)

And I've just christened your guitar with a good old gulp of Corona!!.................hic!
recorder
Boss BR-800

FuzzFace

Quote from: Burtog on July 01, 2011, 01:08:11 PMI've just christened your guitar with a good old gulp of Corona!!

Thanks, man!

Quote from: Burtog on July 01, 2011, 01:08:11 PMDidn't even realise Taylor made electric guitars! 8)

It's a new thing for Taylor.
Which makes me a sort-of Guinea Pig.

But I don't mind.
I think I got a undervalued guitar out of it.

Now I'm trying to record my first song with it!

Ferryman

She looks lovely, hope she plays and sounds as good as she looks!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Vanncad

Burtog took the words out of my mouth.

It looks cool, but pretty thin. Does it have decent weight to it?

I will christen it with a swig of Coors Light shortly.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

FuzzFace

Quote from: Vanncad on July 01, 2011, 01:49:16 PMIt looks cool, but pretty thin. Does it have decent weight to it?

For me the weight is just right.
I tried, for example, the Godins and found them too heavy for my taste.

This one is not as light as the Danelectros, so it's somewhere in between.

Rata-tat-tat

That is one sexy guitar. I'm sure you two will hit it off just fine!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

IanR

It looks really nice.  I like Taylor acoustics and I'm sure that they would have built in a lot of quality into your guitar.

Is it the photo or is the neck a bit wider than you might find on an electric?  It looks more like an acoustic width?  If so, did you choose that intentionally, or was it just the feel that you liked?

I'm currently road testing acoustics and I'm finding that I like the feel of acoustics that have a skinny neck and a low action.  I think that's because I have been playing on a strat a lot lately and I just expect a guitar to have that kind of feel.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Bluesberry

yeah, that is a wicked looking guitar.  I notice the wide looking neck, almost acoustic looking, I like it.  What kind of pickups, are those humbucker, or single coils.  does it twang, or more smooth sounding.......very pretty.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

FuzzFace

Quote from: IanR on July 01, 2011, 07:35:36 PMIs it the photo or is the neck a bit wider than you might find on an electric?  It looks more like an acoustic width?  If so, did you choose that intentionally, or was it just the feel that you liked?

I just compared the neck size to my other guitar, a Washburn les paul copy whatever, and the neck size is essentially the same.  

I don't know what the specifications of my own preference is, but I did totally just go by feel when I chose this one.

Quote from: IanR on July 01, 2011, 07:35:36 PMI'm currently road testing acoustics and I'm finding that I like the feel of acoustics that have a skinny neck and a low action.  I think that's because I have been playing on a strat a lot lately and I just expect a guitar to have that kind of feel.

I would suggest trying the Taylor Big Baby.  A few years ago I went out on a quest to find an acoustic that feels like an electric, and I came across that one.  Incidentally, it surprisingly has far better sound than anything you will find for double it's price, assuming you don't get a dud.

(And no I did not intentionally set out to get matching Taylors (acoustic and electric).  I tried to convince myself not to get this electric because that seemed cheesy to me, but the more guitars I tried, the more I came back to this one.  So I guess I have inadvertently become a Taylor man, ha ha).