U2 'live' at Glastonbury!

Started by Burtog, June 24, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

Burtog

My wife and I were just commenting how there is something of the 'embarrassing dad at a wedding' about  8) Bono. Larry Mullen needs a backrest, looks like he's struggling.

The edge can still 'do it' tho!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Burtog

Forgot to say full gig live on BBC2 and BBC4.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ferryman

Saw them live in 1981 on the "October" tour. For me, that was when they were at their best, Boy was their best album and it's been downhill ever since. Too much of their stuff is kind of mid-paced and ploddy - did you notice how the excitement levels went up when they played "I Will Follow"? Now they are all getting on a bit and you are definitely right. But all credit to them - they have done very well for themselves and I admire a band that has stayed together as a unit since their early days at school.   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Burtog

Quote from: Ferryman on June 24, 2011, 04:03:36 PMSaw them live in 1981 on the "October" tour. For me, that was when they were at their best, Boy was their best album and it's been downhill ever since. Too much of their stuff is kind of mid-paced and ploddy - did you notice how the excitement levels went up when they played "I Will Follow"? Now they are all getting on a bit and you are definitely right. But all credit to them - they have done very well for themselves and I admire a band that has stayed together as a unit since their early days at school.   
Was just discussing on Facebook how 'I will follow' was best song so far but they've just started 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', it's sounding pretty good.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ferryman

Very powerful lyrics on S,BS, but for me it's when they start to get a bit ploddy. Give me "The Electric Co" any day!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

I have October (and Boy) as my favourites even tho War is the one I listened the most to in my youth. They have done some brilliant songs later in their long journey tho. "Stuck in a moment" is one of my all time fav songs !! Great melody and not halfsh!tty lyrics ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

You know what guys, my two favorites are Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  I guess my love for quirky and proggy is showing.  As far as I am concerned those two are the most advernturous and even, dare I say it, interesting.  I flipping love this song, one of my favorite U2 songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbO4-3i0M50

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I watched this last night - I thought they looked tired and lacked a bit of vitality compared to when I last saw them 5 years ago. But do you know what? They're still better than 95% of most other bands IMO. In fact, they were fucking awesome! I rarely get that much pleasure from watching a televised gig, but this one really got me. I also enjoyed watching lots of The Edge's guitars being shown off.

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Greeny on June 25, 2011, 01:14:28 AMBut do you know what? They're still better than 95% of most other bands IMO. In fact, they were fucking awesome! I rarely get that much pleasure from watching a televised gig, but this one really got me. I also enjoyed watching lots of The Edge's guitars being shown off.

You took the words out of my mouth Greeny. Opening with 5-6 songs from Actung Baby to mark the 20th anniversary of that album, and the Edge on top form throughout....I'd still take them over most current bands any day.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chip

All a bit old hat for me, old Morrisey had a pop at them mind you he should talk... Like many have said though U2 do give some of the new bands a run for the money, though on a personal note, most new bands are pretty bad indeed.
I liked the first album and bits of the second but after that I lost interest. Primal Scream for me.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.