Punk

Started by Geir, June 24, 2011, 12:04:11 PM

AndyR

:D

I didn't know this was here... I've just posted my "wot I didn't like about punk" in Nigel's prog thread.

I was one of the kids that punk was "for", and I hated it.

I liked some of the hits, because they were good pop music. Some of it was down to attitude that had translated into the noise on the grooves, but mostly it was a good song, performed well enough, and then captured by the engineer/producer.

But the fashion, attitude, and nihilism that went with it was in complete opposition to everything I liked about music and life. Funnily enough, I'd not even heard the dinosaur music that punk was apparently against. It was the attitude of my punk contempories that made search it out :D.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

I missed prog.  It completely passed me by. I was listening to Tchaikowski, Copeland, Handel, Dvorak just to name a few. I had no life in popular music. My mates were listening to Telegram Sam, I just couldn't get it. I did have a Bowie collection and I had the Beatles Blue album but nothing much else.

Then I heard God Save the Queen. It was like I had been woken up. Rudely, but woken up. Then I realised that I was a geek - in the days when it wasn't cool to be a geek. Geeks got filled in at school. Geeks played in goal (soccer for those of us who by the accident of birth live on the west side of the pond) but suddenly I was like other punks, skinny jeans, tee shirts with 'Fuck' written on them and it didn't matter.

The music was energetic and it made me feel alive, that could have been the cider, but it was great.

I love punk, I love other music too now. But you can't beat pogoing to Germ Free Adolescents.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 26, 2011, 12:16:38 PMI missed prog.  It completely passed me by. I was listening to Tchaikowski, Copeland, Handel, Dvorak just to name a few. I had no life in popular music.

Blimey, you would have loved prog then! Emerson (in ELP) ripped most of them off!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Fanfare for the common man. Heard it since.

I did quite a bit of catching up as a poor impoverished student.....

Still love the 'classics' though. Muse and Rachmninov?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

FuzzFace

Guys your thread here inspired my latest chart-topper:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=11581.0

henwrench

I think what we're all doing here is ethically punk.....

No Bullshit, No Hype, No Market Targets, No Money, No Hope....

Punks not Dead, it just moved house.

Long live Punk.

Where's my safety pin?...

henphlegm
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rata-tat-tat

Personally...  I'll listen to just about anything. For me... it boils down to what I'm in the mood for at the time. I haven't really figured out myself musically yet. I've been through many stages over the years... metal/ punk/rock/ psyc/ country/ jazz/. I guess I strive for "Prunk"... dunno.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Ferryman

Quote from: henwrench on June 26, 2011, 06:35:22 PMI think what we're all doing here is ethically punk.....

No Bullshit, No Hype, No Market Targets, No Money, No Hope....

Punks not Dead, it just moved house.

Long live Punk.

Where's my safety pin?...

henphlegm

Absolutely Henny, totally agree. That was one of the best things about punk, the big companies were sidelined for a short while. That spirit of wanting to make music because you had something to say lives on in sites like this. The music may cover all genres, but the attitude is very similar - that's what I like about the Internet and the commercialization of recording equipment. The MBR is a very "punk" box!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I'm definitely more punk than prog. I was too young to get prog, and only just about picked up on punk as it was shifting into new wave. But I do remember hearing 'Never Mind the Bollocks' at a grown-ups party when I was 13 and being spellbound by the intro to Pretty Vacant. Nothing was ever going to be the same after that. I did spend my 14th and early 15th years looking like a punk too. Kings Road in London was still the place to go to buy punk clothes, and I had some yellow tiger-skin print tight trousers that horrified my dad (along with the earrings and spiked hair). Happy days!

I still listen to a lot of Buzzcocks, Undertones, Pistols, Banshees, Damned, and (early) Adam & the Ants. My punk leanings surface quite frequently in Jemima's Kite, and it's something I'd be happy to do whole albums of. Is it ok to be an old punk though?