Punk

Started by Geir, June 24, 2011, 12:04:11 PM

Oldrottenhead

QuoteBut the success of bands  based on a kind of perverse pride in an inability to play in time and in tune remains beyond me.
it wasnt a perverse pride some of these guys only knew 1 chord, but my god the played that 1 chord with passion.

if punk was about anything it was about that.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gritter

For me it always comes down to song writing. I don't like all punk music but I really appreciate a good song. If the song makes me feel something, then it's worth something in my books. It's a matter of taste and most prog rock just didn't move me. Though there are a few exceptions.

Let's all be friends and listen to some progressive punk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgI1OPcJxG8

chapperz66

Absolutely Gritter.  And ORH I unreservedly accept that my comment about timing and intonation was a gross generalisation.  I, too, was passionate about my music, in an all-consuming kind of way.  I spent most of my waking life practicing, studying and rehearsing (admittedly with very little result!LOL).  I still do, whenever I can.  It didn't take a lot of effort to learn a few more chords.

And yet people did seem to revel, even boast about their disdain.  Passion is hugely important.  But for me it is not everything.

I agree, the music is important, regardless of the genre.  Perhaps I was exposed to the wrong examples back in the day.    I'll have a listen to Fugazi now....

Ferryman

Quote from: chapperz66 on June 25, 2011, 10:34:52 AMDid music improve? Clearly this is a lot more subjective, and I wouldn't dream of saying that one type of music is better than another. Obviously I have my own personal preferences.  All I would say is that edge, attitude and style (sorry to quote you, Nigel) were never important musical attributes as far as I was concerned.  In fact they were, and remain, totally irrelevant. I look for other things - which I frequently find in "progressive" music, and rarely, if ever, in punk.

Agree, we are all different - we need music that "speaks" to us, and that may be different. Go and read my philosophical essay on prog and you'll see another side of me! I personally value originality and passion over musicianship, but that's just me. Interesting discussion all round.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI personally value originality and passion over musicianship
yer a man after my own heart nigel.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

IanR

I was 16 years old in 1979

That was when I first heard X-Ray Spex.

It changed my life forever!

No more top 40.  I stopped "feeling it in the air tonight".

I have always been grateful.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ferryman

Quote from: flopsybunny on June 25, 2011, 07:36:29 PMI was 16 years old in 1979

Were you germ free?

Great band, pity that Polly is no longer with us.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Quote from: Ferryman on June 26, 2011, 02:52:25 AM
Quote from: flopsybunny on June 25, 2011, 07:36:29 PMI was 16 years old in 1979

Were you germ free?

Great band, pity that Polly is no longer with us.

Cheers,

Nigel

I am a cliche I am a cliche
I am a cliche I am a cliche
I am a cliche you've seen before
I am a cliche that lives next door
I am a cliche you know what I mean
I am a cliche pink is obscene

Yama yama yama yama yama yama
Boredom boredom boring boredom
Yama yama yama yama yama yama
Boredom boredom boring boredom

How sterile these lyrics look as written words BUT when Polly belted them out they weren't even words, they were somethin' else.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

chapperz66

Originality and passion are, indeed, essential to keep my interest.  But if I'm going to shell out my hard-earned money buying music, then I demand musicianship as well.  I make no apology for this view - it's just the way I am.

BTW - I've just ordered a Pineapple Thief CD from Play.com.  Very interesting stuff.

Ferryman

Quote from: chapperz66 on June 26, 2011, 08:55:42 AMOriginality and passion are, indeed, essential to keep my interest.  But if I'm going to shell out my hard-earned money buying music, then I demand musicianship as well.  I make no apology for this view - it's just the way I am.

BTW - I've just ordered a Pineapple Thief CD from Play.com.  Very interesting stuff.

Wise man - I think you will like them. I like the most recent album most (it's a bit "harder" than their earlier stuff, so it appeals to me), but there is an amazing 15 minute track on Tightly Unwound that is my absolute favourite (Too Much To Lose) which just knocks me out every time.

I personally like very emotional music, either swooping highs and lows or very aggressive and scary. Now I guess I appreciate a balance of musicianship with the ability to create those emotions.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR