Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Saijinn Maas

I think I'll stay out of this one...

One "debate" this week was enough. :D

Bluesberry

Quote from: Saijinn on June 24, 2011, 06:34:48 PMI think I'll stay out of this one...

Yeah, same for me, I stayed far away from this one, I have no energy left.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

in the uk it was severely needed. at the time there was nothing relevant to the "kids" all the music was bland and soulless. and like those old movies with mickey rooney and liz taylor "the kids" went out and made their own show.

and started the whole indie scene uno start your own label etc etc but it was about much more than music it was about attitude and that attitude still has an influence today.

but it died the day the clash signed to CBS lmao only kidding.
Quote from: Geir the scruffy Viking on June 24, 2011, 12:04:11 PMMaybe I'm getting old and cynical ........

"punk hit like a breath of fresh air" some old man said in another thread ;), and tho I agree to some point, looking back it also was a bit like :

the punks said: "hey those prog-rockers are lame, they have those looooooong songs ... we can't have that, and they actually sing really good .. can't have that either, and man can they play .. let's just bang our fists against the strings the fastest we can ... "

much of it sounded like that anyway .... did some good tho' ...

.......... and some record-company excecutives earned a sh!tload of money

(I'll run and hide now)
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

I was going to chime in on the whole Prog/Punk thing, but instead, I'll just say, "LONG LIVE BASS FISHING!"

I'm now off to get drunk whilst kayak camping. Have a great weekend.

Blooby

chip

Quote from: oldbaldeaglehead on June 25, 2011, 05:49:13 AMin the uk it was severely needed. at the time there was nothing relevant to the "kids" all the music was bland and soulless. and like those old movies with mickey rooney and liz taylor "the kids" went out and made their own show.

and started the whole indie scene uno start your own label etc etc but it was about much more than music it was about attitude and that attitude still has an influence today.

but it died the day the clash signed to CBS lmao only kidding.
Quote from: Geir the scruffy Viking on June 24, 2011, 12:04:11 PMMaybe I'm getting old and cynical ........

"punk hit like a breath of fresh air" some old man said in another thread ;), and tho I agree to some point, looking back it also was a bit like :

the punks said: "hey those prog-rockers are lame, they have those looooooong songs ... we can't have that, and they actually sing really good .. can't have that either, and man can they play .. let's just bang our fists against the strings the fastest we can ... "

much of it sounded like that anyway .... did some good tho' ...

.......... and some record-company excecutives earned a sh!tload of money

(I'll run and hide now)

Gotta agree with baldeagle, something had to give, the old guard had completely lost it, lost in some Roger Dean cover and out of touch with those around them. The music had become far to complex, overblown with ego and very, very boring making only sense to those that performed it. Either they didn't wake up or thought they were untouchable or something else...Looking back, the only way I could listen to it was with the help of LSD, which pretty much sums it up
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Ferryman

I tried to post a long serious post about prog last night but deleted it by mistake after it took 30 minutes to type, but i shall redo it later. But a lot of that post was about punk - I got into punk in early '77 when I saw the Damned and realised that was what we needed at the time. Prog was disappearing up its own fundament, bands like Led Zep and ELP were turning into Spinal Tap with their ridiculous excesses, so it was a real breath of fresh air. Music was exciting again, it had an edge, it had attitude, it had style. And for a time, record execs were nowhere - they didn't know what was happening. That was the beauty of punk. People started record labels themselves and got records out and completely wrong footed the suits. It was fantastic. I went to the HQ of Rough Trade records in London in 1979 with a demo cassette, walked in and Geoff Travis sat down and listened to it and gave me honest feedback (didn't sign us tho!). That would never have happened in the real world of corporate labels.

Punk quickly became a parody of itself - that started when Sid joined the Pistols, and continued as every idiot jumped the bandwagon (and the suits started signing second rate punk acts). But out of it grew new wave and post punk, with intelligent bands like PiL, Magazine and Talking Heads that took the punk ethos but generated much deeper and more challenging music over a longer period of time.  Bands like them and acts like Nirvana, the Foos and U2 owe a lot to punk.

So yes, punk quickly became a joke but it kick started a whole range of artists that would have been buried if we had carried on in the age of the dinosaurs.

Cheers,

Nigel

PS I just read Jim's post above and realised he said everything I did (but in far fewer words :D)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chapperz66

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 24, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
Quote from: Saijinn on June 24, 2011, 06:34:48 PMI think I'll stay out of this one...

Yeah, same for me, I stayed far away from this one, I have no energy left.

I think you guys are both right - but I just can't do it.  I really am a "live and let live" kind of person, and if people thought punk was good for them, then great.  Personally, I thought it was awful and still do.  Sure, a lot of stadium rock bands had got to a silly state of self parody, and the business aspect of music was not helpful (unless you happened to be in a position to coin it!).  But the success of bands  based on a kind of perverse pride in an inability to play in time and in tune remains beyond me.  Or at least it would be were it not for my belief that a lot of people made a lot of money out of the hype that inevitably surrounds all popular cultural movements - including punk.  They may well have been different people in the case of punk, but I would suggest that corporate control and manipulation was still not far away.  It would be niave to expect otherwise.

I'm not sure that it is in any way sensible to compare - or even link - progressive music and punk music.  I  do not accept that punk happened as a reaction to Jimmy Page's silly flares or Keith Emerson sticking knives in his Hammond.  Both these things are pretty silly and embarassing, but was Siuoxsie and the Banshees any less deserving of ridicule?  I think not.

Did music improve? Clearly this is a lot more subjective, and I wouldn't dream of saying that one type of music is better than another. Obviously I have my own personal preferences.  All I would say is that edge, attitude and style (sorry to quote you, Nigel) were never important musical attributes as far as I was concerned.  In fact they were, and remain, totally irrelevant. I look for other things - which I frequently find in "progressive" music, and rarely, if ever, in punk.

But we are all different, with different tastes.  And that is great.  Personally, I quite enjoy a dinosaur - as long as they can play........

Paul