Equalization

Started by launched, June 23, 2011, 10:10:19 PM

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 24, 2011, 03:02:51 PMYou have the right idea in your analogy. We shouldn't drown our food in salt and pepper if we want to enjoy it the way the chef intended. But remember that the "chef" is the musicians, not the recording engineers or the record company execs and marketing people. And remember that there will always be losses due to your playback equipment and your listening environment. When listening in my living room (which has a good balance of reflective and absorptive surfaces) on my fairly decent stereo system, I tend to set the EQ flat. I do the same when I listen with good quality headphones. But on my Sony bookshelf system, I tend to turn the treble up to compensate for the poor high end response of the mediocre speakers, and adjust the bass according to the recording. The listener's objective should be to use EQ to restore the sound to the way it was when the music was originally performed. That's not easy to do because you weren't at the original performance and don't know exactly how it should sound. But you have a fairly good idea how each instrument should sound, For example, you know what a good acoustic guitar sounds like. If the acoustic guitar in the recording you're listeng to sounds dull and muffled, then you should boost the treble to compensate. It's unlikely that the guitarist intended it to sound that way, so the dullness must have been introduced by your environment and/or playback equipment. Playback EQ allows you to compensate for that.

Thank you, and I see exactly what you are saying - I guess I'm not as much of an audiophile as I should be. It just seems that over the years I've found that a flat eq has been the best choice for me. Every time I try to adjust, I end up getting frustrated and resultantly put the settings back to normal. It's almost like I'm trying to fight for the sound I want and never get it, and it sounds worse than if I had left it alone.

But I have much more experience dealing with frequencies over the past couple of years, maybe have another go at it? I don't know...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Quote from: Tony W on June 24, 2011, 05:41:16 PM
Quote from: Geir the scruffy Viking on June 24, 2011, 05:33:14 PMhappiness is  warm gun ::)

suckered me right in with the masterbump. I'm listening now!

Darn it, now I'm listening to it - 'Twas a sweeet tune, Gman!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 24, 2011, 05:16:59 PMdamn thats a cruel video, and to suggest that Mark is in with this kind of perversion to society.....its downright shocking actually.........Mark, you are being strangely silent, no denials on this..... shocking.  Maybe you should keep your doors locked Tony, at least until you have had a chance to search his truck first.

Ok I watched it finally. I'm Wayne Brady beehatch, no denyin' it!! ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

ROFLMAO!

I don't like to get wet.... just so you know!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

this is shaping up to be a crazy weekend......you guys need to write a song about it before its all just a memory.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

It might be a song about following threads all the way to Ohio - I can't keep up!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

follow the bread crumbs....

Exporting

I'll check the chickens and it'll be my first violent pass.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveB

On some BRs, there's the 'Speaker Modeling' feature, which may not be perfect, but at least gives some approximation of output sounds.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon