Controlling a monitor mix.

Started by Glenn Mitchell, June 18, 2011, 01:41:08 PM

Glenn Mitchell

just did another gig where I couldn't hear myself. (I don't have a PA and some of the guys don't bring monitors for the small gigs)
Apparently it was fine at the front but I could have been more inspired and less error prone if I could get monitored clearly.
This is very common so I thought maybe I could get my own monitor mix as part of my set up?
Any hints or tips or advice?
My set up is:
1. guitar into 3 pedals then to the PA.
2. Also I'm using the Micro as a backer tracker. (Ok it's sort of Karaoke but it's all my recordings so I rationalize at least it's original)
This also goes to the PA.
3.Then there's the mic which is the final part of my mix.
4. Then there is any other artist playing with me. (we often do a partner/song circle duo set where we take turns and add to each other.)
I'd like control over the mix I get, regardless of what goes out the front.
I have a couple of amps that I thought might work for a thru signal ? (A Roland Cube and a Deluxe Reverb.)
The deluxe has a plug for an external speaker that might work but the cube is nice and small.
The cube has a "Record out/headphones" but it cuts out the amp.
Neither amp is nice for the backer track.
I'm thinking I need some sort of small mixer? Or do I need an amp and quality monitor too?
Is it unreal to ask that I get some control over my monitor mix? (Am I a control freak?)
Can I get them to send back my signals from the head to a mixer I buy and control?
Surely this is common?
I obviously don't know enough about PA systems.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

launched

Does the PA have auxiliary outputs? Most Mixers have two - A pre-fader and a post-fader. Those can both be used to remix the monitors. The better mixers have at least four. If the PA has no multi-output capabilities, you would have to use a separate mixer because monitor outputs that have the same mix as the general PA are not overly helpful. Then you can increase the levels of your instrument and the vocals if you sing - You also have the opportunity to turn the bass way down to give more clarity.

I've found that having a monitor in front of me that has the house mix is worse than having no monitor at all. I've done both. Another thing is I can hear my instrument fine usually because I'm standing in front of it - I usually put mostly vocals up in the mix with a little bit of guitar as I play bass, maybe the other way around if I played a different instrument

Edit:

I'm assuming the monitors you would use are self powered, such as your Roland Cube. I've used a Behringer Eurolive F1220A and a Mackie SRM350. The Mackies are obviously better quality, but the Behringer puts out more sound.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Glenn Mitchell

The problem is every venue has a different PA.
The 12 pc band I was in had their own PA but had different sound guys for each gig!! I had to quit for this lack of control over monitors.
Yes it's important that it sounds good out there, but I need to make my own mix for my monitor.
Wouldn't the Aux out just be a mono or stereo mix of the whole thing?
I agree simply getting the house mix does not help. I don't need to hear the horns or the drums or bass in my monitor mix Lol
I'm needing to get several, selected channels to my mixer, not the whole mix.
How does one control individual channels in the individual monitors. There is usually a separate monitor mixer no?
I'm beginning to get the idea this is not practical but still hoping.
I thought maybe I could give the house my signals parallel to my mix. I don't know the terminology but sort of a "thru" option for the 3 signals? Where they could do their thing to the FOH and I could do mine to my monitor?

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

launched

Yes, those outputs I described will allow you to select what channels you want in the mix. Considering that you don't know what you are going to get for a PA/Board setup at the house level, I would recommend bringing a mixer and running everything through that. Then you would have at minimum 3 outputs - Main outs, Aux1 and Aux2, one of them being pre-fader. Monitor outputs will not help you, even though they are labeled so. Pre-Fader will include the fader levels but also have a separate output for each channel. Post-Fader will have just the separate outputs for each channel.

The thing is, if the PA has all those inputs available to accept all the mics and line out connections, there is a good chance it has multiple Aux outs.

But if you want to be in control of the mix locally at the stage and be able to real time tweak the monitor mix, get a little rackmount mixer like an Alesis Multimix 12R or it's equivalent. Cheap, fits in a tidy rack and gives you two separate monitor mixes. It will also facilitate the use of your MBR as I hook up an mp3 player for the break music. I wouldn't recommend doing much more than that until you can figure that setup out, which shouldn't give you too much trouble - Small money to get what you need.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Glenn Mitchell

That sounds perfect. Thanks!.
The unit looks a little big at first glance but I now know what I'm looking for.
Would this sort of thing do the trick? I'm trying to keep it all portable.
http://www.alesis.com/multimix6fx
Again Thanks.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

launched

I checked it out and that looks like a good little mixer, lots of inputs for such a small size. I did notice that it has only one aux send, which would allow for one separate monitor mix. That might be ok if everyone is happy with it. You will be able to get all the sounds you don't want out which might make everyone happy and no need for another monitor mix.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Flash Harry

Bit pissed at the moment. I think I have somethiong to contribute here, but I can't quite formulate it.....

I'll try again in the morning.

I have been here.. I think..
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

Quote from: The Despicable Flash Harry on June 18, 2011, 04:50:27 PMBit pissed at the moment. I think I have somethiong to contribute here, but I can't quite formulate it.....

I'll try again in the morning.

I have been here.. I think..

Ha, we all have - It's probably the biggest problem I've faced except for the balls needed to stand in front of a crowd! I look forward to your suggestions.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Hi Glenn, how are you doing man, I don't really have anything to add to this discussion, but I just wanted to say Hi.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

I was about to say something about the mixer at Mike's party ... and that me and T didn't quite hear ourself ... hic ... and that I was at the mixing desk ... hic ... and .... mixer ... hic .... you should always hear your voice .... or some voice  .... what ... hic ... yeah ... you can fake guitar ... but you cant fake the voice  ,......

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........