Secret Recording Project?

Started by Saijinn Maas, June 15, 2011, 10:29:57 PM

Saijinn Maas

From Metallica's website...

June 15, 2011

A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new Metallica project that's "not really 100 percent a Metallica record."   While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together.  Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at HQ on and off over the last few months.  In what would be lightning speed for a Metallica related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers.  We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together.

Hmm... Interesting...

Greeny

Now, as a long-time admirer of Lou Reed who has also enjoyed a Metallica tune or two, that IS interesting news!

Rata-tat-tat

Wow... I can't imagine how this is going to end up. Pounding rhythms... with Lou's smoothness... very interesting.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Oldrottenhead

i'm not a fan of metallica at all, so seems a really strange collaboration. but i am really interested in hearing the results, i hope it's not a car crash tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

This sounds money gathering(ish) to me, but I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'll watch a free performance if it becomes available.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: launched on June 18, 2011, 09:56:26 AMThis sounds money gathering(ish) to me, but I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'll watch a free performance if it becomes available.

I don't know... It seems too eclectic to be money gathering-ish I think. Generally, fans from either side are not fans of the other, with some exceptions of course. Don't know that I'll buy it either, but I am definitely interested in hearing what comes of it.

launched

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 18, 2011, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: launched on June 18, 2011, 09:56:26 AMThis sounds money gathering(ish) to me, but I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'll watch a free performance if it becomes available.

I don't know... It seems too eclectic to be money gathering-ish I think. Generally, fans from either side are not fans of the other, with some exceptions of course. Don't know that I'll buy it either, but I am definitely interested in hearing what comes of it.

I'm with you there. Didn't mean to sound overly cynical. I'm a fan of both, except for Metallica's later releases - Maybe that's what I'm not sure about here. I've seen many Metallica shows in their earlier years and loved them, but never got the opportunity to see Lou live although I have many albums.

Guess I should be patient and wait to see what happens!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: launched on June 18, 2011, 07:23:18 PM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 18, 2011, 07:09:41 PM
Cynical yes. TOO CYNICAL? Absolutely not! ;) I've been a fan of Metallica for years too, but unlike a lot of fans, I like mostly everything they've done with the exception of St. Anger. Bleh...

I have never been a fan of Reed though. I am still interested in seeing what they do though ;)

I'm with you there. Didn't mean to sound overly cynical. I'm a fan of both, except for Metallica's later releases - Maybe that's what I'm not sure about here. I've seen many Metallica shows in their earlier years and loved them, but never got the opportunity to see Lou live although I have many albums.

Guess I should be patient and wait to see what happens!

Rata-tat-tat

Hmmmm... I think this could be a really good combo. I thought Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame gig sounded pretty darn good.

And this was a very interesting line from CBS Celebrity News

The monotone Reed and loud, speedy Metallica have recorded a studio album quickly in Metallica's home studio north of San Francisco. There are 10 songs written by Reed with arrangements by Metallica. Rolling Stone describes the record as a cross between Reed's "Berlin" and Metallica's "Master of Puppets," whatever that means.

If they take it back to the "Master of Puppets" sound with a "Berlin" edge... I have to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYcbEYbN_A
recorder
Tascam DP-02