Minor board reorganization and Songcrafters' philosophy/direction.

Started by 64Guitars, June 15, 2011, 08:11:30 PM

Saijinn Maas

^ The only other problem with trying to make people do it, is that the majority with either say "fuck it" and stop posting, or they will only comment with the smallest amount of feedback they can get away with. :/

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on June 17, 2011, 05:53:15 PMYou've focused in on Sai, for whatever reason. I can't stress enough to look at the good of the community, and focus in on the board restructure.
I thought I was having a discussion with Sai........but I guess it is not allowed.......I am not to respond directly to other members, or engage in back and forth posts.............sorry Sai, Tony says I can't respond to any of your posts from now on for the good of the community...............damn, and I had a doozy all typed out in response to the incredibly interesting game theory thread..........OK, well lets be fair then, treat all the same , new forum rule folks...................no more posts responding to other members posts, this is for the good of the community.  I'll drink to that...............hic...........damn, I already broke the rule, I responded to Tony here..............I guess I'll drink to that also..........cheers.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 17, 2011, 06:30:42 PM
Quote from: Tony W on June 17, 2011, 05:53:15 PMYou've focused in on Sai, for whatever reason. I can't stress enough to look at the good of the community, and focus in on the board restructure.
I thought I was having a discussion with Sai........but I guess it is not allowed.......I am not to respond directly to other members, or engage in back and forth posts.............sorry Sai, Tony says I can't respond to any of your posts from now on for the good of the community...............damn, and I had a doozy all typed out in response to the incredibly interesting game theory thread..........OK, well lets be fair then, treat all the same , new forum rule folks...................no more posts responding to other members posts, this is for the good of the community.  I'll drink to that...............hic...........damn, I already broke the rule, I responded to Tony here..............I guess I'll drink to that also..........cheers.

Come on! Play nice ;)

I am really interested in your reply :/

IanR

Quote from: Tony W on June 17, 2011, 06:15:58 PM^ I've tried something similar Rich. I've sent PM's to people who post songs yet do not provide feedback for others (on a different forum). Sadly, some people are fairly self-serving and will not provide others with the same courtesy they come to expect.

Maybe I'll try a wall of shame next....

The following is a friendly :) response providing another perspective to the point made above.   I have been a member of this forum for a while but as you see by my post count, I don't post that often.  I am probably in the largest group of members.

I think you are wrong if you think that everyone who joins a forum like this has the same level of commitment and expectation that you have.  If you want to set up a site for a handful of friends then fine.  But don't expect me to follow your fussy rules. If I had time to listen and comment on all the material posted here then I could not do my job or spend time with my familiy or write music. If we are running a forum that allows us all the freedom to express our creativity then lets just do that. I'm glad when people comment on the music I post but there is no way that I expect it. Either should you.

You guys are over-thinking this whole thing.  This seems to happen every six months.  It is really boring.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Tony W

Ian, I apologize, as I should not have posted that. I was poking fun at one of the guys active in this thread, and didn't consider the negative impact of that statement overall.

It was without a doubt a completely ignorant thing to type and put up here, and I can't stress enough that I was totally inappropriate and out of line.

I sincerely apologize to all who read that.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

rich2k4

Quote from: IanR on June 17, 2011, 06:58:46 PM
Quote from: Tony W on June 17, 2011, 06:15:58 PM^ I've tried something similar Rich. I've sent PM's to people who post songs yet do not provide feedback for others (on a different forum). Sadly, some people are fairly self-serving and will not provide others with the same courtesy they come to expect.

The following is a friendly :) response providing another perspective to the point made above.   I have been a member of this forum for a while but as you see by my post count, I don't post that often.  I am probably in the largest group of members.

I think you are wrong if you think that everyone who joins a forum like this has the same level of commitment and expectation that you have.  If you want to set up a site for a handful of friends then fine.  But don't expect me to follow your fussy rules. If I had time to listen and comment on all the material posted here then I could not do my job or spend time with my familiy or write music. If we are running a forum that allows us all the freedom to express our creativity then lets just do that. I'm glad when people comment on the music I post but there is no way that I expect it. Either should you.

You guys are over-thinking this whole thing.  This seems to happen every six months.  It is really boring.

Ian

A typical song is what...3 minutes....4 minutes?  It takes you how long to post up a song and replies.....a minute or two?

so say the minimum is at least 2 responses for every song you post.  That is i'd say around 8-10 minutes.  You are basically saying that you do not have a mere 8-10 minutes to give, to others who share the same passion as you do?

It's not like you are posting a song every hour, or every day.  So say you post 1 song a week.  You are telling me that you can't spare 10 minutes a week?  Are you seriously that busy?  I doubt it.  I can't imagine anyone being that busy.

IanR

Quote from: rich2k4 on June 17, 2011, 07:07:51 PM
Quote from: IanR on June 17, 2011, 06:58:46 PM

Ian

A typical song is what...3 minutes....4 minutes?  It takes you how long to post up a song and replies.....a minute or two?

so say the minimum is at least 2 responses for every song you post.  That is i'd say around 8-10 minutes.  You are basically saying that you do not have a mere 8-10 minutes to give, to others who share the same passion as you do?

It's not like you are posting a song every hour, or every day.  So say you post 1 song a week.  You are telling me that you can't spare 10 minutes a week?  Are you seriously that busy?  I doubt it.  I can't imagine anyone being that busy.

Who keeps count?

Are you going to become my feedback auditor?

What I was saying is that I use this site for a reason.  It may not be the same reason you have.  So lay off and don't impose your rules on me.

OK?

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Tony W

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 17, 2011, 06:30:42 PM
I thought I was having a discussion with Sai........but I guess it is not allowed.......I am not to respond directly to other members, or engage in back and forth posts.............sorry Sai, Tony says I can't respond to any of your posts from now on for the good of the community...............damn, and I had a doozy all typed out in response to the incredibly interesting game theory thread..........OK, well lets be fair then, treat all the same , new forum rule folks...................no more posts responding to other members posts, this is for the good of the community.  I'll drink to that...............hic...........damn, I already broke the rule, I responded to Tony here..............I guess I'll drink to that also..........cheers.

Initially I wanted to respond indignantly, but the truth is, I never meant to offend you Dave, and for that I sincerely apologize as well. You're one of my heroes on the site. That'll never change.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: IanR on June 17, 2011, 07:12:13 PMWhat I was saying is that I use this site for a reason.  It may not be the same reason you have.  
I think this is a very good point being made, each of us comes here for our own reasons, reasons that are different than other members.  We have been having a discussion here all day on this, and everybody sees this site slightly differently, comes for different reasons, interacts while here in different ways.  We will never all completely agree with each other, because we are all unique individuals.  I come here for the original songwriting primarily, secondly for interesting covers and all the festivals we have, thirdly for recording tips and discussion, and finally for the good banter and interesting discussions we have.  Other folks come here for completely different reasons.  Its what makes it all go around.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on June 17, 2011, 07:16:25 PMInitially I wanted to respond indignantly, but the truth is, I never meant to offend you Dave, and for that I sincerely apologize as well. You're one of my heroes on the site. That'll never change.
I think we are having a good lively discussion here, and it is heated at times, and I take no offense at what you posted Tony, I was just trying to have a bit of fun, in my quirky way.  I sincerely hope you took no offense in my post either.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand