Satisfying GAS with other people's money.

Started by Migs, June 15, 2011, 07:17:48 PM

Migs

How good a gig is this that I have scored!
One of my brothers is going to Papua New Guine for work for a few years.  While he is there he wants to do something useful like learn to play the guitar, a very commendable pursuit.

What he has asked me to do is spend his money on some worthy gear.  So I have $AUD1500 of someone else's money to spend.  Most excellent.

I figure that since he is going to have to lug it overseas (and eventually back) so won't want lots of stuff like effects pedals and tuners.

The solution, a Fender Mustang II - which sells here for under $AUD300.  That gives him an excellent amp woth some built in effects and a tuner.

That leaves me with about $1200 to spend on a Tele.

Can anyone see a flaw in my plan ?

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Greeny

Sounds like a good plan to me! I was intially thinking you should buy him a Line 6 Pod multi-fx unit too, but as a beginner, it would only muddy the waters. Better to let him find his own way on that one. So the Mustang II is a great shout.

And spending money on a top-notch Telecaster? That's music to my ears!

Geir

Quote from: Migs on June 15, 2011, 07:17:48 PMCan anyone see a flaw in my plan ?
Only in case of a power failure ::) in which case an acoustic would be nice :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Good point Geir, you could buy a Mustang amp, a nice Squire Tele and a good acoustic with that kind of money.  Instead of the Mustang, why not get the new Boss BR-80.  That woyld give a complete package.  Headphone amp, run it out to a stereo for jamming, play along with the E-band backing tracks, learn a little about recording, etc.  There, that is my reccomendation, a Boss BR-80, Squire Tele and a good low price acoustic.  Great starter package.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Migs

I am pretty sure the acoustic might be out of scope plus he wont want to be lugging 2 guitars over there.  And the other thing I was thinking is if any of it ends up sitting gathering dust, I have a good shot at "acqiring" it down the track.  Which all makes me think, should I get him a strat given I already have a nice tele?
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Bluesberry

And you know what, I was going to say Strat, I even typed it, but changed it to Tele because it seemed you were really set on a Tele for your friend...........but for me personally, I think a strat is a better beginner guitar, that is my bias, having learned to play with a strat and an acoustic.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

IanR

Here's my list:

1. American Special Strat
2. MBR/BR 80
3. Set of head phones

This is more portable and no amp is required because the MBR can plug into a hi fi or table top radio, etc.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Bluesberry

Quote from: IanR on June 16, 2011, 08:32:12 PMHere's my list:

1. American Special Strat
2. MBR/BR 80
3. Set of head phones

This is more portable and no amp is required because the MBR can plug into a hi fi or table top radio, etc.

Ian
Yes, Ian has got it...........thats the perfect beginners package.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

peterp

I think buying gear with other peoples money is the best idea I've heard yet!!!
Oh wait, you are actually going to give the gear to him?

In that case I'd agree with the Strat or Tele and mbr80/headphones or Mustang.
And  a good tuner!

and a gnome, as in metro (though many don't like using them)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

64Guitars

Quote from: peterp on June 16, 2011, 09:33:12 PMIn that case I'd agree with the Strat or Tele and mbr80/headphones or Mustang.
And  a good tuner!

and a gnome, as in metro (though many don't like using them)

But the BR-80 has a tuner and a gnome built-in.

Instead of a tuner and metro gnome, maybe he should get a surge suppressor for the Mustang, and some spare fuses and solder. ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website